Agricultural lupins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Luck

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Less than 100
This year, (late summer - early autumn), there are some fields of agricultural lupins that have been sown for the first time in close proximity to two of my apiaries. I've seen these before in the general region but never near my bees. They flower in spring, and very pretty they are as well, beautiful fields of a mauve blue....but....what I would like to know is has anyone any personal experience of these as a forage for honey bees?

Thanks,

Chris

I think the flower is the same as garden lupins, if so, my bees don't/can't access the flowers

Hi Chris
Do you know what the lupins are grown/harvested for?

Eb

Super photo ericA. :cool:

I think they are grown for the seeds Eb as an alternative animal "feed stuff" to Soya which is imported and is mainly GM. Most of these crops go to be milled, mixed and manufactured into animal feed, same with most of the maize.

Chris

Cut and Paste from http://w w w.lupins.ibers.aber.ac .uk/

UK agriculture is faced with the need to reduce diffuse pollution, particularly of nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P), whilst remaining economically viable.

Spring Lupins can provide a high protein grain of known provenance and source of oils and balanced energy for optimised ruminant and non-ruminant livestock production. They have the potential to increase the efficiency of N and P use in arable rotations and in mixed arable livestock systems.

This five year project is the first comprehensive evaluation of the advantages and disadvantages of this crop for organic and conventional use in the UK. Comparisons with other grain legumes will analyse on farm nutrient budgets, feed utilisation, emissions from animal wastes and agronomic factors. Molecular markers for key traits will be identified and brought together as a ‘breeder’s toolkit’ available for Lupin improvement.

it is a 5year trial backed by Defra.

A local farm to here grows them for their cattle in rotation with clover and other crops for them to eat.

Aw shucks....thanks guys :)
It's actually upside down. I thought it looked better that way.
Anybody live near lavender fields?
I remember seeing some in france and they were really humming :):)

some lavender farms on IOW and north of Chichester both about 5acres+. would it be worth while contacting them to see if any hives could be placed onsite?

I've wondered too.
Have just found this from Wolds Way in Yorkshire

1;- Lavender Honey that has been made by the Bees pollinating mainly Lavender Flowers. There are not many areas in England with enough Acres of Lavender to produce Lavender pollinated Honey. Other Honeys you may see advertised are Heather Honey, Borage Honey, Rapeseed Honey Etc. The main Lavender Pollinated honey producing area within the EU is in southern France. It should be noted that just because the Honey is pollinated on a certain plant, that it does not necessarily taste of that plant, but it does have its own unique taste / consistency. Bee keepers move their hives many miles at different times of the year following the different flowering seasons .

2;- Wolds Way Lavender Infused Honey is based on a Honey that is warmed with the Lavender flowers in it so steeping the flavour of the Lavender into the honey The honey is then strained before bottling. The infused Honey does have the flavour of lavender along with a combination of both the benefits of Lavender and Honey

I should think most lavender farms already have bees or have an arrangement for bees to be placed on their land at flowering time, i know the ones around me do, we have planted 300 munstead lavender plants two years ago the bees love them and totally cover them while they are flowering, we had some lavender honey from them, mixed with other honey`s as the same amount of plants we have it will not be totally lavender but you could certainly taste it very nice:) Chris

I should think most lavender farms already have bees or have an arrangement for bees to be placed on their land at flowering time, i know the ones around me do, we have planted 300 munstead lavender plants two years ago the bees love them and totally cover them while they are flowering, we had some lavender honey from them, mixed with other honey`s as the small amount of plants we have it will not be totally lavender but you could certainly taste it very nice:) Chris

Sorry guys (i am only a newbee), i can not find the delete buttonnot worthy Chris

I had field lupins in the same field where my bees are a couple of years back. Flowers were nice but the bees never went near them and no crop from them
Peter

Beeboybee
Know a beekeeper who has his bees on the lavender farm near southport. Nice honey but not noticeably lavender flavoured.

I know some lupin root is used to make the sugar inulin which used to be used to differentiate bacteria befor API strips. Eb

Agricultural Lupins have been around for at least 25 to 30 years. They are a multi purpose plant, when I had anything to do with them (back 25 + years) the blue were bitter and mainly used as a soil conditioner/green manure. White could be used the same as well as for fodder, oil and a flour for animal feed.

believe there is a lavender farm near southport?

ssh, they wont believe you, the NW is supposed to be an industrial waste land., especially anywhere within 15 miles of Liverpool or Manchester.

and if you described the view from Ormskirk towards Liverpool with Snowdonia in the background they would they would send you to Rainhill (if they knew what was there)

Derek ( a NW lancashire in exile in the south)

Latest posts

Back