Aggressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we should have a thread of what makes bees angry. I blamed one inspection on cordysyl toothpaste! Use minty one now! :)
E

They didn't like me painting poly boxes in the garden earlier this year. They liked gloss paint even less than masonry paint.

Opening many hives together may be a clue. My experience with nasty colonies is that the guards are out and attacking when you get too close and before you open the hive. Can you try one hive then wait for it to settle before opening another? Super-clothe yourselves even if it is hot. With nasty colonies, I wear two veils. The appearance of bees between the veils seems to validate the method.

Yes. I'd suggest also opening one at a time. If 1 has lost its Q it will be grumpy. A bit of alarm pheromone and a sting or two from one would set the other two off. Opening one at a time and closing them down straight away if there is aggression and go on to next one. Then you'll get a better feel for whether 1 colony is bad and affecting the others or all are bad.

Oddly - they really do not like the smell of paint thinners .. My workshop is next to my apiary and last season I was cleaning some lathe parts in a dish of cellulose thinners - 10 feet away from the nearest hive .. I was mobbed by a load of angry bees. Mine are generally fine and are not in the least bit agressive ... it could only have been the thinners.

Methyl Amyl Ketone (2-n-Heptanone ) is a frequent component of paints and laquers. This chemical is the major component of honey bee mandible venom, which is probably why they get angry when it fills the air.

Methyl Amyl Ketone (2-n-Heptanone ) is a frequent component of paints and laquers. This chemical is the major component of honey bee mandible venom, which is probably why they get angry when it fills the air.

Is that what makes them hot?:winner1st:

Chons da

Thanks for all the advice. So my plan is to inspect on my own on Monday. I will put tape over any "joining" parts of my suit. Open one hive at a time and, as advised, close immediately if any sign of aggression and move on to the next one. The mill owner is looking to buy a new bee suit. So does any one have any recommendations, the main criteria is not comfort,but anti sting. I want her to have a suit she will have total confidence in.

The area where the zips close or the way they close can be an important consideration. Aggressive crawling bees are very good at finding a way in.

I have a BBwear ventilated suit which is made from chemically stiffened material that is 6mm thick. Making it impossibly for bees to sting through because it's thicker than the length of their stinger. Ive never been stung through it. They are also hornet and wasp pròof. They are expensive but as I'm allergic to wasp stings they are worth it. The suits are hand made in the UK. And BBwear can repair them if damaged. Would definately recommend checking them out

The mill owner is looking to buy a new bee suit. So does any one have any recommendations, the main criteria is not comfort,but anti sting. I want her to have a suit she will have total confidence in.

Old Castle Farm make 'sting proof' bee suits, substantially cheaper than BBwear

Really pleased with old castle suit. So much cooler. Bees were really feisty yesterday and I was totally secure. Seems robust and well made, but have only had it a couple of weeks.

Old Castle Farm make 'sting proof' bee suits, substantially cheaper than BBwear

Didn’t fork out and happy enough with my old castle jacket.
Yes, much much cheaper but having done a side by side comparison when I popped into BBWear, I would say the BBWear suit would be much cooler and the quality is second to none.
S

So visited the bees yesterday,initially on my own. Taped up all joints/flaps on the suit to be sure. Carried out a full inspection of all the hives and although lots of bee around and a few pings,nothing like the aggression of the previous time. So will put the aggression down to the nearby fire. Thanks for advice on suits Castle Farm suits look good and at a reasonable price.

put some dead brambles or holly on the roof of the hives... it will stop birds landing on the roof annoying them

Back