Aftermath of Snelgrove 2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OursonAnglaise

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I previously asked for help with splitting my hive due to queen cells and ended up doing a snellgrove 2. (long story & I don't really want to go through the reasons for that again)

This didn't end well and I lost at least one swarm with my original queen from the original brood box.

Last weekend I inspected the two brood boxes for the first time in 2 weeks, (4 weeks following the initial split).

The original brood box - from which I lost my original queen (langstroth brood & 1/2) is Q+ - larvae and capped brood found.

The new brood box to which I transferred 2 frames of BIAS, & 2 un-noticed queen cells - the rest was undrawn foundation, still appeared to be Q-. One of the sheets of foundation had started to be drawn, but nothing spectacular.

I therefore moved one frame of BIAS from my Q+ to my Q- hive to see if they draw emergency queen cells.

If there are no QC, I know this doesn't necessarily mean that they are Q+.

However if there is still no brood this week, I am prepared to wait another week to see if anything happens in terms of brood laying, but if not I will combine the hive back up to my original hive. - does this sound sensible?

My supplementary question is this:

To combine I have Hive 1 = Q+ hive (brood & 1/2 +1 super) and Hive 2 = Q- (brood +super (almost full).

How do I arrange the boxes? - I was thinking

brood &1/2 + super (hive1) (newspaper) then QE + super (hive 2) + broodbox (hive2).

I would like to 'clear' the spare brood box after a couple of days & remove if this is feasable?

thank you for your help

Rachel

:iagree:
Wait another couple of weeks.
For anybody else reading this Wally Shaws snelgrove goes better with drawn combs in the new box. Remember all the flying bees do not draw wax well straight away and the queen will need somewhere to lay when she is returned to the box.

:iagree:
Wait another couple of weeks.
For anybody else reading this Wally Shaws snelgrove goes better with drawn combs in the new box. Remember all the flying bees do not draw wax well straight away and the queen will need somewhere to lay when she is returned to the box.

Probably why it always works well with me. I am on 14x12. 2 frames from old hive is probably enough to get them started with the drawing of the rest.

And JBM was correct again

Thanks JBM for suggesting I wait. Have checked hive 2 this evening & have found beautiful capped brood & larvae.....I will one day see eggs....I keep looking! They have also drawn out at least 2 frames of wax ready for laying (probably already done!)

There were definitely more bees than the last time I looked, so I think the addition af that extra frame helped, & gave some young bees for attendance & wax drawing.

I am now a very proud 2 hive owner!:party:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back