After the swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandini

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good evening,

One of my colonies swarmed 9 days ago ( a week after buying the colonies)...the previous day I'd had my fist look into the hives with the help of an experienced keeper, and in one (obviously the one that later swarmed) we found several Queen cells, which we destroyed.

Next day the bees swarmed and unfortunately, after a bit of a game, we lost them into a hole approximately 35 feet up in a nearby old oak tree, where, as far as i can tell, they have decided to stay.

The colony was obviously left queen-less (a republic?!). Last Wednesday (6 days ago) I had a look in the brood chamber and the clever little things had generated a new queen cell, which was still open.

My question is this; Is there anything i should be doing now? I'm tempted to look again but my instinct is to leave them well alone while they (hopefully) establish a new Queen. Also, I am concerned about wasps especially in relation to this depleted colony, so I have reduced the entrance with foam. Will this have any detrimental effect on the queen/drone flights/encounters.

Any thoughts/advice/comments gratefully received!

Tim

Will this have any detrimental effect on the queen/drone flights/encounters.

Not as long as the entrance is big enough. They do not need an entrance 370 x 22mm.

RAB

I'd guess the entrance I've left them is about 20x20mm. Too small?

Depends on strength of the colony, the floor type, etc. If they are queuing up or bearding, it is likely too small.

I usually leave about 50mm by 20mm or maybe up to double that. I watch to see how they cope with wasps. I rarely need to close them any smaller, but would not hesitate if required. A function of know your bees really; strong colonies, no feeding, no problem.

RAB

Thanks RAB, I think i'll open the entrance a wee bit as i don't want the new queen struggling to get back in after the flight. And i'll keep an eye out for the wasps (destroyed 10 wasp nests at the weekend!).

I am nervous as i'm away for a week next week. Hopefully the wasps (those still alive) aren't too aggressive yet.

- when you say 'no feeding' do you mean that feeding sugar syrup exacerbates the wasp problem? Makes sense. At the moment my hives have a full super of honey on each and are starting to draw-out on supers i added just over a week ago. I'm thinking to take the full supers off soon.

I have solid floors with entrance blocks, so the widest opening has been 50 x 20 mm. I thought I needed to reduce down from that.

Thanks for your words.

T

As long as there is one queencell only, leave alone. Ensure the entrance is not too big. The queen will emerge 8 days after the queencell is sealed. A few days later -weather permitting she will fly and mate. You should (but not guaranteed) have a laying queen in about a month.

tim why dont you make a bee trap for the oak tree and trap them out. there was a tread yester day with sum picks take a look.

Thanks Hebeegeebee, I found the open queen cell eight days ago, so she must still be sealed. I'm going away for a week starting this Saturday so I think i'll leave alone until i'm back. I've left the entrance at about 50x20 mm.

Jimmybee, i'm just gonna check the trap idea out. thanks!

Tim

Re Bee trap for my swarm in the old oak. They are bloody high up! Not sure if i got the ...patience, to get up there and build the kit needed. + they're not in a place where they can do much harm, a wild spot where the only people who a likely to get near are the occasional dog walker...

I have however a second swarm that's found a nook in the side of the old house, it's awkward as it's under where the roof overhangs, in a corner and fairly high. I had thought that maybe the one swarm split into two, I know this is unlikely and there could only be one queen, but a hell of a coincidence and we discovered the house swarm day after the main swam. I was told that if this was a split swarm then they would most likely go back to the hive. they're still there.

I'll attempt to post a foto later...

I would be very careful. Our inexperience caught us out.

We did the same thing (thought left one QC) and then they produced more and so we lost a swarm as we thought to leave them to get on with it. BIG mistake on our part.

Make 100% you dont have any more cells in there.

Dont expect them just to keep to one QC. As we have learnt from painful experience they dont just leave the 1 QC, they can produce more after you squashed the first lot.

Thanks for the warning, but the colony already swarmed, so I thought it unlikely they'd swarm again, no?

Colonies can swarm and swarm until no bees left.

I had two swarms from the same hive in 2 weeks...

Oh. Well, best have a peak in there I think! Thanks for the warning. I've got a friend and expert coming on Friday so we'll look then.

(already don't know what I'd do with out this forum. )

Looked today with my expert mentor. We found 3 queen cells, 2 sealed and 1 empty. We only looked through half the brood and my mentor told me to put the lid back on and not to worry, that they would swam a second time.
He's incredibly experienced, so I have to trust his judgement, but it seems to contradict what i've read and the advice on this thread...

Going away for a week now. Hope i've got bees when i return!

Latest posts

Back