After the swarm.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahameMD

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Hi - I am a newby in the second year of my beekeeping.

All went well last year and I brought them through the winter with no troubles. I was most excited for this year as i got my brood too late for honey last year.

Then, on the day of the Royal Wedding "I dos" - my bees said "I don't" and swarmed, no warning! Since then I have visited the hive and the bees are very docile and as well natured as ever - but I can't find a queen nor have I spotted any brood. The hive is full and there is honey dripping from the frames but what should I do? Hold tight and hope there is a virgin queen amongst them all - and how will I know??

Please relieve this beek of his angst :nopity:

GMD

Thanks - yes queens cells spotted so will sit tight......for now!

With open cells and content bees it sounds like there is a Queen present. Be patient, I had this exact scenario in my 2nd year- empty brood cells, no sign of the Queen. The beekeeper I'd bought my nuc from asked if there was pollen going in and I told him there was, to which he said 'she's in there, you just missed her' but he could see my concern and gave me a comb of eggs- 'which will prove it.'
When I opened the hive you can guess what I found .....
Oh ... brood, next frame, Oh ....Queen!!!

Latest posts

Back