AFB and other diseases common on imported Bumble Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all aircraft arriving at UK Airports are searched and fumigated.... all goods imported go through UK Border control / customs.

EH?! I know you're a bit behind with the news in pastie land - but I didn't think the time lag in the semaphore from London was that long!
I've been in the service over 25 years and that was ancient history when I did my basic training! :D

Bit of a storm in a teacup this with regard to threat to honeybees. Everything mentioned except perhaps AFB is already here in abundance and I'm struggling to think how a bumble colony could infect a honeybee colony with anything.

Bit of a storm in a teacup this with regard to threat to honeybees. Everything mentioned except perhaps AFB is already here in abundance and I'm struggling to think how a bumble colony could infect a honeybee colony with anything.

Talked to Prof Ratnieks about it yesterday at the LASI open day.

He agrees with Chris B that as all the diseases are here already, there is no problem at all, and that simply "more" makes no difference.
Just taking AFB as one specific consideration, I find that kinda hard to accept.

In the same way that AFB is "here already", isn't it the same for Foot & Mouth?

Since the AFB spores are so devilishly persistent, I think that anything that increases the free spore count in the UK has the risk of harm. Seeing Bumbles and Honeybees foraging on the same plants, I wouldn't be quick to rule out the likelihood of spore transfer.

Incidentally, it was suggested that the most likely source of the disease organisms in the bumbles was as a result of them being raised on honeybee-collected pollen and honey.

Overall, the tone was rather dismissive of someone else's research having anything to do with his field, and thinking it over, I did wonder if there might have been an element of concern about the amount of publicity that someone else's research had been given ...

Since the AFB spores are so devilishly persistent, I think that anything that increases the free spore count in the UK has the risk of harm. Seeing Bumbles and Honeybees foraging on the same plants, I wouldn't be quick to rule out the likelihood of spore transfer.

Robbing of infected honey is recognised as being the natural way AFB spores are acquired by a honeybee colony (and of course beekeeper artificial spread from one colony to another). "Free spore count" is nothing by comparison. Otherwise the policy of destruction of AFB colonies would not have been so succesful in the UK in the post-war era. If a bumble colony picks up spores from infected honey, but the disease cannot develop, then the spore count doesn't increase, unlike in a honeybee colony where a single dead larva can contain millions of spores. If honeybees don't pass spores to each other via flowers, then bumbles to honeybees certainly won't.

Indeed Chris, and one or two 'usual suspects' involved. If you read the report, and I have had it e-mailed to me, you find that the AFB (and other of the honeybee associated issues) was found in the pollen supplied to the bumbles for their consumption in the development phase and in the possible dearth after they arrive. (Not in the actual bumbles)

This pollen was from honeybee origin supplies. The use of non irradiated pollen for honeybee pollen patties is not advisable for just this reason, contamination is rife. The discovery of AFB and chalkbrood in this is pretty well a gimme. Makes an easy alarmist headline though.

Pretty well a non story really.

Indeed Chris, and one or two 'usual suspects' involved. If you read the report, and I have had it e-mailed to me, you find that the AFB (and other of the honeybee associated issues) was found in the pollen supplied to the bumbles for their consumption in the development phase and in the possible dearth after they arrive. (Not in the actual bumbles)

This pollen was from honeybee origin supplies. The use of non irradiated pollen for honeybee pollen patties is not advisable for just this reason, contamination is rife. The discovery of AFB and chalkbrood in this is pretty well a gimme. Makes an easy alarmist headline though.

Pretty well a non story really.

That's reassuring - usual alarmist claptrap then ?

Hopefully, no right thinking beekeeper would feed their bees on commercial honey - particularly honey from other parts of the world - anyway ?

That's reassuring - usual alarmist claptrap then ?

Hopefully, no right thinking beekeeper would feed their bees on commercial honey - particularly honey from other parts of the world - anyway ?

Do not know anyone who does, irrespective of origin. The discrimination that equating the word 'foreign' with 'inferior' or 'contaminated' brings is both unfair and very often wrong.

This is no disease free idyllic group of Isles we live in, and in the case of imported bees it is more often not what they bring in but what they catch here that is the issue. UK honey can be carrying these problems just as much as most other provenances, in particular where the honey from a large number of colonies or even producers is bulked and blended. ( There are however certain provenances where contamination of the honey with AFB spores is almost ubiquitous.)

To itma, and your inaccurate and repeated from other threads statement about the origins of foreign bees into Wales, and some unknown and unknowable virus that they might contain that would devastate our bees and did not do so to theirs...............that is an argument that can be used to virtually shut down trade in any animal or vegetable product. Would suit some I know, but of course it can be used against you as well.

Welsh lamb, a fine product I eat and enjoy, should, under the same principle, be banned everywhere other than local sales in its area. There is also a tiny (vanishingly so, as with EU bees) possibility that they might be carrying something they are resistant to locally that could hit the flocks everywhere else. Where does the 'pull up the drawbridge' attitude lead in the end?

Like it or not, our definition of domestic origin stock has been redefined over the last 30 plus years (in particular by the so called Balaii Directive) to the borders of the EU, and no longer UK, constituent part of the UK, county, parish, village, or however small and parochial you choose to go. At least when they cross national boundaries they must have a proper health certificate, not so for UK or local sourced. If you can demonstrate that provenence X has a problem that is absent from destination Y you can still prevent imports from X, even within the EU.

Selecting stock merely because they are 'good survivors' and of local 'native' type is another matter altogether, and is akin to telling farmers they have to go back to primitive cattle or sheep, or cereal types, because they are the local type that can survive without management. What about manageability? Long term performance? There are a long list of reasons that certain stock types are favoured by certain beekeepers. The ideal of the best bee just being a local ecotype survivor is largely an amateur concept. Its not terribly often I agree with PBee, but he knows the subject of which he talks as regards bee types, and if his word is good, which I have no reason to doubt, he does better than most in his area, without being hogtied by having to use A.m.m. stock. I have had Galtee stock (direct from 'the man'), and *some* of the colonies headed by them were good, but they are NOT truly gentle stock and only the very best of them beat our local mongrels, so I understand PBee and his choices fairly well.

To itma, and your inaccurate and repeated from other threads statement about the origins of foreign bees into Wales, and some unknown and unknowable virus that they might contain that would devastate our bees and did not do so to theirs...............that is an argument that can be used to virtually shut down trade in any animal or vegetable product. Would suit some I know, but of course it can be used against you as well.

Beg pardon, but whaaaat?

I do not believe I have EVER commented on "the origins of foreign bees into Wales".
It is simply not any concern of MINE.
ADDED - and I have NEVER referred to "some unknown and unknowable virus" ...

As Private Eye is wont to say "Shome mishtake, shurely?"
An apology would be welcome.

Last edited:
Like it or not, our definition of domestic origin stock has been redefined over the last 30 plus years (in particular by the so called Balaii Directive) to the borders of the EU, and no longer UK, constituent part of the UK, county, parish, village, or however small and parochial you choose to go. At least when they cross national boundaries they must have a proper health certificate, not so for UK or local sourced. ...

My concern, from the recent reporting, is that importing native Bumblebee species into the UK does NOT seem to require any "proper health certificate", inspection or release control.

Non-native species do require inspection, etc - but seemingly NOT "native" species of Bumblebee.

Do not know anyone who does, irrespective of origin. The discrimination that equating the word 'foreign' with 'inferior' or 'contaminated' brings is both unfair and very often wrong.

This is no disease free idyllic group of Isles we live in, and in the case of imported bees it is more often not what they bring in but what they catch here that is the issue. UK honey can be carrying these problems just as much as most other provenances, in particular where the honey from a large number of colonies or even producers is bulked and blended. ( There are however certain provenances where contamination of the honey with AFB spores is almost ubiquitous.)

Wrong.
Countries which allow the use of antibiotics to control foul brood export honey which is far more likely to contain AFB spores than honey from our own fair isles where colonies with AFB are destroyed.

Its also no wonder that bees from countries which have had concerted, long term government supported breeding programmes might be further along the path to an "improved" bee than our own amateur led efforts with AMM. That just leaves more room for improvement for the most suitable bee for our lands, despite a lack of any support from government or even an anti AMM stance shown by the national bee unit stocking their apiary with imports.

And for once the BBKA weren't on holiday or out to lunch, and issued a sensible statement promptly ...

To which DEFRA responded with meaningless platitudes.

A Defra representative responded to the study, saying: "Imported colonies of non-native bees are required to be screened for parasites and disease.

"We will continue to work with Natural England to ensure that growers who break the rules are punished."

Wrong.
Countries which allow the use of antibiotics to control foul brood export honey which is far more likely to contain AFB spores than honey from our own fair isles where colonies with AFB are destroyed.

Not wrong. See the word 'most' in my post.

Beg pardon, but whaaaat?

I do not believe I have EVER commented on "the origins of foreign bees into Wales".
It is simply not any concern of MINE.
ADDED - and I have NEVER referred to "some unknown and unknowable virus" ...

As Private Eye is wont to say "Shome mishtake, shurely?"
An apology would be welcome.

Yes indeed, apology duly offered as this seems to have been mistaken identity on my part...............but someone did make mention of bees into Wales of origins including Sardinia and Romania. I COULD go into chapter and verse of what actually DID go on, and it is all on BeeBase but private to the beeks concerned and the inspectorate, but the comment on here was way way wide of the mark.

Latest posts

Back