Aerial display.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Have see virgin queens being followed by drones before,but never as many in the air all at one time as today, at an isolated mating station. This went on for over two hours in the vincinity of the apairy,with as many as 15 virgins and a comet like tail of drones chasing each one,anything from 20 to around 40 or more drones in each group,going from ground level up to 40ft or more,and occasionally crashing into things,including the ground and myself and two sons a couple of times...very fast and agile flights,rapid twisting and turning..lovely to see.

set out 10 mating nucs and let them loose this morning.... when i got back from hospital the sun was out .. blue sky and warm.....
air over the lilly garden was full of loudly buzzing with drones on the shagfest of the year..... going no higher than 20ft.... drones everywhere around the garden apiary too
looking forward to some healthy NZ queens!

hope no "foreigners" got in on the act!

Wow Hivemaker that must have been something really special, we have seen two Queens returning from mating flights from adjacent hives with about 100 or so attendants guiding them back to their respective hive entrance's, that was wonderful to see but what you witnessed must have been truly awesome, i don't supose you got any pictures, its good to hear a bit of good news for a change :)

Totally agree Chris, we all seeem to spend loads of time moaning about the season but to witness a sight like that is a once in a lifetime thing and hopefully HM some nicely mated queens.
kev

Latest posts

Back