Advise please...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark6629

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

2 questions,

1) This is my first time raising (attempting) my own queens. I have a Nuc & Mate set up, 3 frames each side divided by the board. 1 side is booming and laying really well, the other side seems to have not mated correctly, very sporadic brood and seems to be 90% drone, they have both been in there since 9th May so she's had plenty of time to mate.
Can I dispose of the poor queen and remove the board for them to unite??

2) Similar situation in 2 cedar hives, I let them supersede by splitting for swarm prevention but one queen not doing great, again 50/50 drone and worker.
If i dispose of her, how long do they have to be queen less to unite with stronger queen and colony using newspaper method?

Thanks,

To answer your second question. When I have united colonies I have ether left them one day or none at all, just strait away united them with the other colony.

Can I dispose of the poor queen and remove the board for them to unite??

2) how long do they have to be queen less to unite with stronger queen and colony using newspaper method?

1) Yes. I've done that a few times this week without smoke or fuss.
2) As JBM: immediately.

Thanks.....Nuc & mate just done, will do the cedar colonies tomorrow as weather started turning, been torrential rain, then sun, now rain.......

Back