Advice trying to catch lost swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig1961

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi. Got becak from work at 1 oclock to see a swarm leaving hive. Landed in a tree. I have put a bb with 1 old frame and the rest new. also some queen pheremone. Have about 20-30 scouts looking in and around the box. Hope they will move in. How long should i leave the pheremone in?
Also the swarm look to be split in two about 6" apart. could it be 2 swarms?
Any advice ASAP please.

Need this swarm. too high in tree though.
thanks all

How high??
Frame of brood tied to long pole resting near the swarm will attract them down to it- then lower to ground

Oh, if only they only went to 20 ft!! A swarm in my garden is still 40+ft up a tree - we have tried (and failed) for 10 days to get it down :(

ha... well they have moved from two groups into one and moved about 2 down. I thought it was to go in the bb. no more scouts around the box... maybe 'coz they have settled for the night. Still there so still hope. Any idea why they formed 2 bunches to start with.

OK.... swarm still in the tree. very quiet. Scouts stpped looking at the box last night. Is this the norm? When it gets a little warmer, is it possible they will investigate again? Or would they have moved in by now? I know all swarms will be different, but just wondering the average behavior of the swarms.... All advice taken on board. thanks.

Latest posts

Back