Advice please - Adding new queens in the rain?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadders

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Did an AS on my single colony on 14x12 about a month ago. The origonal queen absconded so gave them a QC.

In short, all QCs open but no eggs at all for about 3 weeks. Thorough search in both and found no sign of a queen.

Ordered 2 new queens which should arrive today. Plan was to pop down after work and put the butler cages (or equivalent) in without opening yet them. Was going to search through again to make sure no queens and if there were I would bump them off in favor of the bought in ones.

Problem - Rain. It is set to rain until Thursday. Do I put the queens to the side (with a droplet or 2 of water on the side of the cage) and wait until thursday to do a full search? Or quickly open and pop them in tonight?

Wait that rain stops

How long are they ok for outside the hive?

What do I need to do to keep them OK? Just drops of water or sugar syrup as well?

Problem solved... use an umbrella.

+1

Strap it to a pole and to hive stand. Works a treat. Or get a helper. (safe from bees in rain)

I've got a big golf umbrella so will use that. Will probably use hive strap to strap to the brood box.

Daughter has texted me that queens have arrived. I would prefer to get them in (in sealed cage) asap so I can let them at the candy by the weekend.

Do I need to do a full search? If I have missed a virgin or newly mated queen will they sort things out themselves? Will a laying queen generally survive over a virgin or newly mated queen?

Lots of questions (as always with this pastime). And thanks for responses.

I've got a big golf umbrella so will use that. Will probably use hive strap to strap to the brood box.

Daughter has texted me that queens have arrived. I would prefer to get them in (in sealed cage) asap so I can let them at the candy by the weekend.

Do I need to do a full search? If I have missed a virgin or newly mated queen will they sort things out themselves? Will a laying queen generally survive over a virgin or newly mated queen?

Lots of questions (as always with this pastime). And thanks for responses.

A fat laying/mated queen will be most likely killed by an agile Virgin. You have to make sure they are Q- or you might be wasting your money

Personally I wouldn't be putting an expensive queen in without using a test frame first. (got caught out last year!) I have queens coming tomorrow and put my test frames in 6 days ago - which had QC drawn. . As your queens are already here though I would make a little q- nuc and use that for queens. Then join to the colonies you want them in after testing frames been done.

Ah! I see you don't have enough colonies for making a little q- nuc. Oops! Maybe seive through a QE?

Last edited:
+1

Strap it to a pole and to hive stand.

It's that kind of attitude that's put this country in the hole it's now in, they'll be sending all the poor buggers back home before long, anyway :D

Three weeks is way to soon to assume there is no queen in there any more (virgin or despoiled) A test frame is essential IMHO. Too much jumping the gun and buying in new queens then bemoaning the fact they disappear going on i think - but never mind, it's what's made people like HM millionaires :)

Last edited:
It's that kind of attitude that's put this country in the hole it's now in, they'll be sending all the poor buggers back home before long, anyway :D

Three weeks is way to soon to assume there is no queen in there any more (virgin or despoiled) A test frame is essential IMHO. Too much jumping the gun and buying in new queens then bemoaning the fact they disappear going in i think - but never mind, it's what's made people like HM millionaires :)

:icon_204-2:

That's pretty good..better than I could do..(not a lot I know)

Managed to have get in between rain showers last night.

One hive is almost definitely Q-. No brood, couldn't see HRH and agitated bees running on the frame. Popped queen in between frames in cage with tape over candy.

The other colony flipping had eggs and larva. So definitely Q+. Should have known as these bees are lovely in behaviour. Obviously didn't re-queen.

Popped down tonight with a nuc box. Added queen in cage and frame of pulled foundation and bees from the Q- hive. Blocked the entrance with grass so they didn't just bundle out and back to their home. Also the rain should keep them in. Also put in a frame feeder of 1:1.

Started the season with one colony, now potentially have three. I have 2 spare hives so hopefully if the nuc takes I can transfer them to a hive in a couple of months.

I will have to go shopping in the winter sales.

Fingers crossed.

I will have to go shopping in the winter sales.

Fingers crossed.

Based on my experience- unless you have a disaster # which wipes you nearly out - assume you will double your hives next year and buy frames/foundation and equipment to match..

# I had last year and I have recovered this year and it has cost a lot of time , money and effort to get to where I wanted to be. It would have cost a lot more if I had not planned and bought accordingly.

My 3 new queens arrived - from the alleged millionaire HM - and it has been chucking it down. Can't delay putting queens in as off on hols on Sunday so off I went, golf umbrella in one hand, smoker in the other and queens/hive tool in the other - oh yes, I don't have three hands. That's why it was difficult. Something had to give - umbrella got ditched. Too hard to hold golf umbrella in wind and rain whilst lifting roofs and moving frames. Bees not impressed by being given lovely queens and were very grumpy. Ungrateful sods.

Now we wait..... I KNOW they are hopelessly Q- what could go wrong!

One hive is almost definitely Q-. No brood, couldn't see HRH and agitated bees running on the frame. Popped queen in between frames in cage with tape over candy.

So maybe Q+ wouldn't have ventured to introduce before making sure - not finding the queen is no guarantee there isn't one

He's been on the forum for four years. What chance is there with new beeks? It must have been mentioned more than once re introducing a new queen without being certain that the receiving bees are really Q-?

When you lose an expensive queen you quickly get the message. It happened to me last year and I now don't assume they are q- even if I squished her myself as there could just be a second queen in there. I wait to see if they raise QC. I have used a fair few frames of eggs making test frames this year - but better safe than sorry.

If you do not use a test frame you have no knowledge.

By all means spend forty pounds on a Queen and lose her. Not my money but I do so hate waste and the waily waily posts that those situations produce.

KISS, and test frame first. Or if not donate the money to a hospice.

PH

Back