advice on splitting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
this is my second year so am still a newbee my 14x12 hive seems very strong on inspection today they have started to fill the super i have bias lots of stores and pollen coming in,i also have 3 uncapped queen cells this is the 2nd year for my queen so have decided to do a AS,do i need to feed both hives with so much pollen coming in?

You put the super back on the AS on the original site.
Your parent colony should have enough stores in the brood box till the next inspection.
You'll be looking in 5 days to knock out any extra QCs made so you can make a decision then whether you have to feed them.

this is my second year so am still a newbee my 14x12 hive seems very strong on inspection today they have started to fill the super i have bias lots of stores and pollen coming in,i also have 3 uncapped queen cells this is the 2nd year for my queen so have decided to do a AS,do i need to feed both hives with so much pollen coming in?

pollen is different to what is normally considered feeding, i.e. sugar syrup

just noticed you said originally they're starting to fill super - if you have a super on, then definitely don't feed - you don't want sugar syrup in the super!

You didn't say where these cells were located. Just three, were they centrally on the comb, maybe the same frame?
The AS is done now so no matter but they shouldn't need feeding.

AS is done now fingers crossed taken advice not to feed can only hope for the best.thanks everyone for all advice.

Latest posts

Back