Adding bees above or below a super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzie-drippin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello

I want to combine bees from a queenless nuc with bees in a National hive with a super on top using newspaper.

So my question is, am I best adding the extra brood box with the incoming bees above or below the super.

Thanks for the advice.

LD

Most advice previously on this is above the super. Either with something to match the hive sizes or put the nuc in a full sized box dummied down (or filled with drawn or foundation frames) and then place on top with newspaper separating them (or use air freshener - I've been impressed with this!)

Either use a uniting board knocked up in the workshop or put the nuc dummied down in a national box then put above the super. Air freshener works really well in this sort of situation. I've tried it and I'm really impressed along with Sutty

It does make sense. If colonies recognise their own and strangers by scent then our usual methods (uniting board or newspaper) are probably working by bees from each "side" squeezing through small gaps in opposite directions, thus mixing colony scents until there isn't an evident difference. If their scent receptors are temporarily overwhelmed by air freshener they won't recognise another bee as a stranger and the colony scents will be mixed rapidly.
I even united a swarm with a (very likely) queenless hive this way. Made a space in a box and gave a spray of freshener, then quick spray in the swarm box, tipped around a bit, 2nd spray, then tipped into the space before slowly replacing the frames.
No fighting or evidence of it seen!

Latest posts

Back