Adding a new queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dto001

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,
I caught a swarm around the 30th June up until yesterday the bees had been slowly getting less and less and no eggs or larvae were on the frames I bought a mated queen and added a frame of brood/ eggs yesterday and checked today and no queen cells have been started but I have found a section about 2" diameter with multiple eggs in it ie 2/3, on the sides and laying flat at the bottom. I have added the new queen in the cage with candy at the end as I can't find another one in the hive.
Do you think I have a queen and should I remove the other one or does it sound like I have a laying worker and leave the new queen in place? ( I hate to waste a new queen)
Thanks in advance

Laying workers will generally not be able to reach the bottom of the cell to lay, hence lay on the side. A queen just starting to lay can lay a few eggs in each cell for a day or so.
I generally leave a test frame 2-3 days before checking. Recently checked one after that time that I was sure was queen less , but no QCs. 2 days later there were QCs. The test frame had eggs and young larvae.

Laying workers will generally not be able to reach the bottom of the cell to lay, hence lay on the side. A queen just starting to lay can lay a few eggs in each cell for a day or so.
I generally leave a test frame 2-3 days before checking. Recently checked one after that time that I was sure was queen less , but no QCs. 2 days later there were QCs. The test frame had eggs and young larvae.

I know it is not that common but i have had two laying worker colonies and both where more than capable of laying eggs in the bottom of the cells, however there was a lot more than two or three eggs in each cell more in the region of 10 to 20 eggs per cell.

Problem is there are not too many bees left less than a frame. Is there anyway of telling if the bees are going to kill her prior to her being released?
I am going to add more candy to the cage entrance to give her a bit more time in the cage

Doesn't sound like the most viable colony to save. If you don't have another hive do you know someone who can donate a few frames of brood and stores to put your queen onto in a nucleus and start again from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They won't accept your new queen if there is another. Something is laying those eggs and I agree with Millet.......laying workers are perfectly capable of laying at the bottom of cells and new queens often lay multiple eggs till they get going.
The colony is tiny, adding brood frames is not the answer as there are insufficient bees to look after them so they will be wasted.
Generally bees that are aggressive to a caged queen swarm all over the cage and bite it.
Make a nuc up for her. You don't need it to be a big one. One frame of emerging brood next to the wall of a poly nuc then three frames of stores and three drawn brood frames will do it. One frame of brood becomes three frames of bees. When the brood frame has emerged swap it with the stores

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back