Added sugars labelling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintmoth

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just seen this on the American Food & Drugs Administration website:

"Added Sugars

Are the sugars in a jar of honey or a bag of sugar added sugars? If so, what should the total and added sugars declaration look like?
Yes, the sugar in a jar of honey and the sugar in a bag of sugar are added sugars. The definition of added sugars includes sugars that are either added during the processing of foods, or are packaged as such, and include sugars (free, mono- and disaccharides), sugars from syrups and honey, and sugars from concentrated fruit or vegetable juices that are in excess of what would be expected from the same volume of 100 percent fruit or vegetable juice of the same type. The definition excludes fruit or vegetable juice concentrated from 100 percent fruit juice that is sold to consumers (e.g. frozen 100 percent fruit juice concentrate) as well as some sugars found in fruit and vegetable juices, jellies, jams, preserves, and fruit spreads. Please see 21 CFR 101.9(c)(6)(iii) on page 33980 of the Nutrition Facts Label Final Rule for the definition of “Added Sugars.” For example the total sugars for a serving of honey would be 17 grams (g) and the added sugars declaration would also be 17g.

FDA defined sugars from honey as added sugars in the final rule. The agency has heard concerns from the honey industry about declaring the sugars in a jar of honey as added sugars, including that the sugar in honey is not added to the product. FDA plans to invite further comment in the near future."

So the sugar in jams, jellies, and preserves is NOT added, but the sugar in honey is....Perhaps the FDA would like to call home occasionally from whichever planet they are currently living on.....

In EU legistation HONEY means that you do not add anything from outside of the hive.

If you add, you must use different product name, what ever it is then.

As yet the UK is not a member state of the United? States of America.. thank GOD!

Any Legislation passed by the FDA or the so called United States of America has no meaning in the UK or the rest of the countries in the world!

IMOVLHO

Myttin da

Last edited:
I am often asked by new "Asian" customers " No added sugar ?"

Does anyone remember the product that appeared on shelves a few years ago ? It was a clear jar with a block of comb in it and topped up with a coloured liquid (glucose/fructose ?).

I believe this was covered in the NHS videos, Honey Marketing. The American beekeepers are missing a trick, marketing their honey. But this is being addressed at the farmers markets. The legislation is for the big honey corporations.

In EU legistation HONEY means that you do not add anything from outside of the hive.

If you add, you must use different product name, what ever it is then.

The Yanks are not adding anything. Their pure honey has to be labelled as added sugars, so a 450g jar would bear the legend - total sugars 450g, of which added sugars 450g.
Madness.
And so often the British powers that be seem to look at what the Yanks do, and then copy it....

The Yanks are not adding anything. Their pure honey has to be labelled as added sugars, so a 450g jar would bear the legend - total sugars 450g, of which added sugars 450g.
Madness.
And so often the British powers that be seem to look at what the Yanks do, and then copy it....

In the case of long established wood cleaning materials that may not be a bad thing.

I am often asked by new "Asian" customers " No added sugar ?"

Does anyone remember the product that appeared on shelves a few years ago ? It was a clear jar with a block of comb in it and topped up with a coloured liquid (glucose/fructose ?).

I get it every bloody time. Once I explain what honey is by law and explain that most beekeepers –-none I have ever encountered –-would bother with such nonsense, they are OK.

If they're not sure, I tell them that's fine, they can get their honey elsewhere, but what they get from me is unadulterated.

concentated fruit juice does not have the label "added Sugars"
yet concentrated flower nectar does... illogical Jim!

I think the U.S. Sugar industry has had a hand in this one.

Latest posts

Back