Add a super........hmm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
OK here we go........... my first request for help and advice.
I am new to this having almost completed my beginners course (2 sessions left) but already have bees as a fellow association member was downsizing and I have brought 2 complete hives including 8/9 frames colony in each. Both of these I have put a new undrawn frame into and all seems fine at the moment with plenty of coming and going, good stores and developing brood.
Shortly I will be adding a super to each and here comes my question....
Can I put 10 new frames with foundation in or am I better to use some previously drawn frames and add some new ones, say 5 at one end. ?
I only ask as the old ones look particularly aged with damage evident in some areas.
Obviously the chap I got them from could advise and so could fellow association members including during this Saturdays teaching session but having read most of whats been on here for the last few weeks I thought I would put the question to the 'floor' and say Hi and ease myself in...so to speak.
Thank you for all replies. bee-smillie

Putting in previously drawn foundation will mean that the bees have less work to do - all they have to do is clean it up, and start filing the nectar away. That said, putting in 10 frames of foundation will work perfectly well too.

If you're going to mix them up, I'd put the foundation in the centre of the super (where they will want to work it), and the drawn comb towards the edges. If you do the reverse, then the bees will tend to fill up only the centre section that has already been drawn.

One potential flaw in the plan of mixing them up is spacing. If you space foundation widely, then you may find the bees start building some extra deep, and some very narrow (or not at all). So I space drawn foundation at 10 frames per super, and foundation is crammed in at 11 per super. It doesn't matter that much because you can cut down the "extra deep" ones when you extract.

Hello

I always put 9 frame castallated metal strips in every super and alternate drawn foundation with new foundation. The bees draw it out and you have 9 frames with fuller honeyed frames - much easier to uncap.
Thanks
Tim

I only ask as the old ones look particularly aged with damage evident in some areas.
bee-smillie

what kind of damage do you mean, so long as the wooden frame is intact the bees will repair the wax remarkably quickly

i would use comb for the first super and foundation when the full flow is on as they will draw it out quicker

By the way how many supers have you, you have a nine brood frame hive and if you are in a Oil seed rape area they may fill supers very fast

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum. As a newbie I will leave it to others for advice, but you have certainly come to the right place!
FB:party:

I have 3 supers and about 4 fields of OSR about a mile away. I have plenty of Frames so will be on the look out for a couple more supers.
The damage is just to the comb so as you say they will repair it.
Thinking I will go with the drawn for the first super and then put the second one with just foundation onto the first hive Then a mix of drawn and foundation on the second hive with the new stuff in the middle, try both and see what works best.
Thank you for all your responses, gonna be warm tomorrow so will spring into action and get it done.

Last edited:
i put 3 new frames of foundation in supers like this, 3 drawn at each end = 6, then 1 foundation one drawn one foundation one drawn 1 foundation, and put supers on when the bees are drawing out new comb, or brace comb.

in order to cut down on costs you don't even need to add whole frames of foundation just starter strips and let bees do the rest.

in order to cut down on costs you don't even need to add whole frames of foundation just starter strips and let bees do the rest.

your extractor must be a real mess then :biggrinjester:, how do you spin the frames without the comb disintegrating or do you just use it for cut comb
The one thing i always check is the wire reinforcing in the frames, if it is anyway dodgy i replace it with new wired foundation

Hey this is great,...............it works, I ask a question, get loads of good answers and advice and take a broad view and end up doing a mixture of several answers as most of them were slightly different.
Thanks all once again.
So supers are on and I will have a look next weekend if its warm enough.
Oh by the way its official I'm a bee keeper.......... got stung today ! :smilielol5:

"I'm a bee keeper.......... got stung today"

What, only once?

Glad you found this forum helpful, it's interesting that us London/Urban beekeepers have no experience of oilseed rape so never take it into account.

It was actually 4 times........... but I wasnt gonna let on as I am new to this I am sure it was my fault disturbing them whilst it was a bit too draughty.... lesson learnt ! far too eager for my own (and the bees) good.
As a new keeper I could do without OSR being so close this year as from what I read it brings its own unique problems which I need to deal with in addition to finding my feet with my 2 newly delivered colonies.

...as you've found out, you learn as you go! Above 17C you can keep the hive open for half an hour or so and the bees just ignore you but they resent having their home taken apart much below 16C, a quick inspection is OK but if it takes longer than a couple of minutes they go on the offensive - when you notice this, you close the hive down asap!

and now you've started you'll never give it up!

Latest posts

Back