About to start in East Cornwall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Hello All,

I am presently doing a ten week theory course in beekeeping and will be getting my first colony(ies) in April or May after hopefully doing a practical handling session. The course has taught me a salutory lesson in that beekeeping is not a question of getting a hive, putting some bees in, waiting, then nicking their honey. I was surprised at the complexity involved in even the most basic elements of bee husbandry. I have much to learn in the next few months.

I have joined a local society but have yet to meet anyone there as their winter meetings are on the same day as my course but I look forward to when I can go and pick other people's brains; as I hope to do here :bigear:

Lots to learn but lots of fun also, I would recommend you get a second hive ready for two reasons. One it's best to keep more than one colony due to putting right what goes wrong. Second is swarm control... Have fun:)

:welcome:To the Forum and beekeeping from a beek just in another "country".

:welcome:To the Forum and beekeeping from a beek just in another "country".

Welcome:welcome:welcome

You can just get a glympse of Kit Hill tower as you drive down the Okehampton to Tavistock road... just past the pub at Lydford.
That's my home territory ( Kit Hill that is!)

Yeghes da!

Normally on the Okey to Tavy road you can see beggar all because if it's not mizzleing or raining it's just thick mist. We don't do DRY around Okey, anybody with a suntan is just rusty.

Lots to learn but lots of fun also, I would recommend you get a second hive ready for two reasons. One it's best to keep more than one colony due to putting right what goes wrong. Second is swarm control... Have fun:)

Already have two hives (empty at the mo of course) and am getting a poly nuc box this week, just in case I need it. My plan is to buy a colony for one hive and try to attract a swarm for the other during the spring; the poly nuc is in case I succeed so I still have a spare :)

Already have two hives (empty at the mo of course) and am getting a poly nuc box this week, just in case I need it. My plan is to buy a colony for one hive and try to attract a swarm for the other during the spring; the poly nuc is in case I succeed so I still have a spare :)

Buy a nuc ... you could probably get two for the price of a colony.

Monday 27th March is the next Kit Hill CBKA group meeting at Harrowbarrow Villiage hall 7.00pm.
Asian hornet traps... swarm control and collecting... questions and ( hopefully) answers ... are on the adjenda... new and old beeks welcome.

Yeghes da

Normally on the Okey to Tavy road you can see beggar all because if it's not mizzleing or raining it's just thick mist. We don't do DRY around Okey, anybody with a suntan is just rusty.

But we do produce the best honey!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back