About Ambrosia?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
Hi, I have been offered Ambrosia at £1 a kilo but is it really worth it if I am happy with sugar , the real question is it really much better for the bees ?

Your choice. No mixing, but at twice the price per weight of sugar I think it is only for those who can get far better rates and have labour costs to consider.

Bees use it just the same as ordinary syrup. Some claim less water to be evaporated. In which case feeding fondant is likely a better choice.

Only when it could be shown, without doubt to be worth twice the cost of sugar would I consider it.

Plenty of archived threads on the subject including very recently, but might be under other names as well.

£1.00 a kilo is a good price, whether it's better............... lot less hassle mixing (not really an issue with a couple of hives though) keeps for ages, you can feed it later and a little less work for the bees to process. You pays your money, you takes your choice

Hi, I have been offered Ambrosia at £1 a kilo but is it really worth it if I am happy with sugar , the real question is it really much better for the bees ?

Lampeter BKA has decided to get some after all, this year?'

I used Invertbee last year and I can say the bees take it down readily and you can use it quite late in the season. I am leaving quite a bit of their own honey this year but I'll top it up with bought syrup.

Last edited:
OK.....what I should have written was relatively late.
I didn't mean so late you should be giving fondant.

Suffolk BKA obtained Ambrosia in bulk: £0.70/kg to members - compared with £1.65 @ T's!!
Apparently helps to play Ambrosia off against Belgosuc to get the best price. Mind you, I prefer the latter's title - it sucks.:serenade:

... Some claim less water to be evaporated. In which case feeding fondant is likely a better choice.

"Some claim" that in the same way "some claim" bees make honey.
Fact not claim.
"2:1" syrup is at least 33% water.
Ambrosia 27%
Capped stores less than 20%.

Because fondant needs water to be added before it can be stored, it is taken much much more slowly.

I prefer to let my bees keep lots of Ivy honey.
But if I feel they aren't going to get enough stashed away, I can feed 'Ambrosia'-type syrup late - confident that it will be taken and stored.
I'd rather do that than feed sugar syrup early by rote.

I'm not bothered whether or not people do it "my way".
Just as long as they don't let their bees starve.

Latest posts

Back