Abandoned hive - Anything I should be considering?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canary Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have been given a hive that has probably not been touched for some years,complete with bees.
For now I am letting them settle into a new location, and after a few days intend to open and if everything looks okay (as good as can be expected) then transfer bees onto drawn frames on a newer hive, I will donate them some stores from another hive in a different location.

How hard can it bee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNA2kn0NdzU

Thanks in advance for advice, I won't be online again until tomorrow night.

As you are in Norwich, did you come to the recent NBKA apiary demo where there was a rescued hive that had not been opened for 10 years? There was a fair bit of water damage, so the frames and boxes started to come apart with the stress of a manipulation, but the brood frames were mostly sound, and moved into a new hive while the supers were discarded (the honey had crystallised and in some cases fermented, and so much brace comb had been built that the bees did not seem to be able to access them anyway). There was also a fair bit of wax moth and mouse damage, but the brood box was mostly untouched.

I would say move the bees to a new hive on a few frames to keep the brood, donate a few drawn frames so that you can swap out some old frames and wax (or even go for a Bailey comb change), and look carefully for disease and varroa infestation. It sounds like you want to do a shook swarm, which I would be reluctant to do unless you found serious problems. Having said that, I bow to the wisdom of those with more experience.

If you need to borrow an oxalic acid vaporiser, I am based in Norwich and can bring one along for you.

do a bailey comb change and just stick a brood box of frames on the top and wait for the queen to go up, then put a Queen excluder under the new box for 21days. Then remove the old bottom box

do a bailey comb change and just stick a brood box of frames on the top and wait for the queen to go up, then put a Queen excluder under the new box for 21days. Then remove the old bottom box

That's the easy way , no mess , no squashed bees.....

As you are in Norwich, did you come to the recent NBKA apiary demo where there was a rescued hive that had not been opened for 10 years? .

If you need to borrow an oxalic acid vaporiser, I am based in Norwich and can bring one along for you.

Unfortunately I don't get to attend such things, I feel I will be forever a beginner, although the bees are constantly trying to teach me!

I do have access to a vaporiser, thank you for the offer.

Back