Aarruuugh!!!! Wot the hell!??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlawr42103

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
My 1st full year bee keeping... my 1st ivy experience....

.. the 1st time I have come across this lovely warm, rich & heady aroma of ivy blanketing the apiary... mmmm... love that fragrance so much...

... today I removed some brace comb that was full of ivy honey... I know its supposed to taste bitter... but rushed inside with it to squeeze out some of that potent syrup for a little taster...

... up close and personal .. hmmm..:confused: ... not so good on the nose close up... more of a stink than a fragrance... in fact quite offensive, musky and medicinal, more like something that should be applied to a verruca rather than eaten!

I had a big spoonful.

:eek::ack2:

Oh my word it was nauseating!

It tasted like a ferrets leather jockstrap that had been dropped in turps served with a light dressing of honey!

It actually made me feel sick, and the smell & aftertaste simply would not leave me alone for hours.... Partly, as I had found out later, as I somehow managed to get a big blob of it just behind my right ear!

... so.. anyone want to buy some of my lovely ivy honey? :)

Now you know why we are glad it comes out after the honey harvest and why we can get round using it by saying we are leaving it for the bees for winter. :)
E

Hi dlawr42103,
I am most grateful that it was your experience not mine, that it tastes as nauseating as it smells. Hubby tried to convince me to at least taste some, when I told him how much honey I had on the hives.

My 1st full year bee keeping... my 1st ivy
It tasted like a ferrets leather jockstrap that had been dropped in turps served with a light dressing of honey!
)

Your first tasting of this clothing accessory obviously left a nasty memory imprinted on the olfactory part of your brain. We would love to hear how it came about.

more like something that should be applied to a verruca rather than eaten!

Had to check the title to confirm you were not talking about mahooky honey - in fact you could use that as a marketing tool:

"why eat sh!t from New Zealand when you can make yourself just as sick by putting British ivy honey on your toast"​

Some people claim to like it.
But all bees are very happy indeed to have it.

And no, I don't see it as evidence for "intelligent design" that a honey frequently considered as unpalatable by humans should show up at the time for pre-winter bee-feeding …

… but it is quite convenient. :)

Some people claim to like it.
But all bees are very happy indeed to have it.

And no, I don't see it as evidence for "intelligent design" that a honey frequently considered as unpalatable by humans should show up at the time for pre-winter bee-feeding …

… but it is quite convenient. :)

Quite right too, only the comb building is an "intelligent design"

Had to check the title to confirm you were not talking about mahooky honey - in fact you could use that as a marketing tool:

"why eat sh!t from New Zealand when you can make yourself just as sick by putting British ivy honey on your toast"​

:icon_204-2: 'Delicately' put JBM. Like your style!

.. the 1st time I have come across this lovely warm, rich & heady aroma of ivy blanketing the apiary... mmmm... love that fragrance so much...

... today I removed some brace comb that was full of ivy honey... I know its supposed to taste bitter... but rushed inside with it to squeeze out some of that potent syrup for a little taster...

... up close and personal .. hmmm..:confused: ... not so good on the nose close up... more of a stink than a fragrance... in fact quite offensive, musky and medicinal, more like something that should be applied to a verruca rather than eaten!

I had a big spoonful.

It actually made me feel sick, and the smell & aftertaste simply would not leave me alone for hours.... Partly, as I had found out later, as I somehow managed to get a big blob of it just behind my right ear!

My God I'm with you! Removed the clearer board and q/e today and they've made loads of wild comb under the clearer. They had started to store in it so I thought I'd take a little taste as suspected it was ivy due to a few frames had gone hard. Well...I will not be doing that again!!

I had a big spoonful.

Just wondering where you would actually get a ferrets leather jockstrap to drop in turps and why you would waste honey on it.

It is an acquired taste :) ivy honey, no idea about a ferrets leather jock strap but will take your word as gospel.

I've just removed 5 supers from 3 hives ........... full of it and left a super on each as they are filling everything, brace comb between frames, top an bottom, side walls...I could have removed more but didn't have enough replacement equipments with me. I was thinking of going back in a few days and replacing the supers with bb's and foundation, the bees are on 14 x 12's, just to try and get some more drawn out for next season.

Now it looks like I will be extracting all night as it will be setting in the frames as I type (the honey that hasn't yet set) another one of the downsides for this honey :(

Removed the rear entrance blocks and varroa inserts from my hives yesterday and the aroma (stink) of ivy was overpowering - saves on sugar though :)

Back