Ivy Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
I'm swarm co-ordinator for my area and so my number is easily available. Over the last couple of weeks I've had at least 2 calls a day and as many as five regarding bees in lawns.
People were adamant they weren't bumble bees and more like wasps but coming out of their lawns not from nests.
I've found out they are Ivy Bees.
I have to admit I hadn't heard of them before and they are only reported on the south coast at the moment.
They were new to science in 1993 and first recorded in Dorset in 2001.
I saw them for the first time today, literally hundreds of them all over a small south sloping lawn in Lewes, East Sussex. Lovely little things, like a small honey bee, striped and a gingery thorax.
Have any of you found them any further north as yet?

I'm swarm co-ordinator for my area and so my number is easily available. Over the last couple of weeks I've had at least 2 calls a day and as many as five regarding bees in lawns.
People were adamant they weren't bumble bees and more like wasps but coming out of their lawns not from nests.
I've found out they are Ivy Bees.
I have to admit I hadn't heard of them before and they are only reported on the south coast at the moment.
They were new to science in 1993 and first recorded in Dorset in 2001.
I saw them for the first time today, literally hundreds of them all over a small south sloping lawn in Lewes, East Sussex. Lovely little things, like a small honey bee, striped and a gingery thorax.
Have any of you found them any further north as yet?

Colletes hederae - http://www.bwars.com/index.php?q=bee/colletidae/colletes-hederae

I have seen another sighting map where there are a few records creeping up to the Midlands. I am assured they are on the way to me in Manchester. A beautiful, pretty bee :)

I wonder if they may out-compete with honeybees for the ivy pollen and nectar
The Ivy in bloom in the trees here is awash with all sorts that fly
They like light sandy soil to nest in so I don't suppose they will ever get here.

I think there are some near me...can't get a picture they're too fast for my phone. But here is a colony of very small looking bees. Noticed them yesterday and just took a short video clip of them. Seems very active. Too small to be honeybees but look like honeybees. How do I upload a short iphone video clip? Tried via the photo upload method but says a security token is missing? (Whatever that means?!)

LJH : They are solitary bees (so not a colony)

I was just going to say that lol, but they do seem to live in large aggregations given a suitable site, as do all solitary bees.

I'm learning as I go this year, coming from knowing nothing at all, so Ivy bees are new to me.

LJH, check out this link - http://www.bwars.com/index.php?q=bee/colletidae/colletes-hederae - particularly the nesting biology section. Very informative. Can't wait to see them myself :)

I wonder if they may out-compete with honeybees for the ivy pollen and nectar
The Ivy in bloom in the trees here is awash with all sorts that fly
They like light sandy soil to nest in so I don't suppose they will ever get here.

:iagree: although I am assured by my expert friends that they are most certainly on their way to me, and judging by the recording map, they are moving north quickly :)

Ahh I see... Perhaps I should have read about them first 😀. Would honeybees live underground? It's sort of a very small embankment/edge of a road, not a busy road. They do look very tiny in comparison to honeybees I have seen.

Ahh I see... Perhaps I should have read about them first 😀. Would honeybees live underground? It's sort of a very small embankment/edge of a road, not a busy road. They do look very tiny in comparison to honeybees I have seen.

At a good nesting site, you can find many solitary bees living side by side. It has been known for them to even use a single entrance, although usually they will dig out their own nesting hole. I've only been learning about solitary bees this year, but if you can get a picture, I can get it identified for you if I can't do it :)

Found a neighbours lawn with easily a few thousand mating.
Had to stop cause at first I thought it was a swarm arriving!
Chap is going to rotavate his lawn and re-seed to get "a nicer lawn".
I think I managed to convince him to leave it till next year when they might have a chance of relocating....

Any advice on when would be best? I would love to have them in my lawn... A lawn transplant???

had lots of calls from shoreham by sea about them in the last couple of weeks. im glad I now know what they are called.

Latest posts

Back