A run on invert syrup!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I measure water in a 5 liter bucket added to exactly 4335g of cane sugar, …

this give a 2 : 1 mixture

add 10 liters of water to same quantity of sugar for spring feeding.

OK, I'll bite.

5 litres water to 4.335 kg of sugar certainly isn't 2:1 (Metric or Imperial)

There, I said it.

Any moment someone will be along comparing Mathematics education in Finland and the UK …

For the avoidance of doubt, the amount of sugar that needs to be added to 5 litres of water would be
- 10kg for metric 2:1 (which you'll have a heck of a job to dissolve)
or
- 8.5kg for imperial measures of 2 pounds (907g) to a UK pint (568 ml) - and even that takes a bit of stirring

4 to 5 kg would be about right for feeding-to-feed (rather than to store) …

Beet sugar is also said to not to be good for bees as it contains heavy metals used in processing …

Even if this myth was true when the colonial sugar planters told the tale about European-grown beet (about 150 years ago), then it certainly is utterly untrue today.

It matters not a jot as to whether the white granulated sugar originated from cane or beet - for feeding bees or humans.

OK, I'll bite.

There, I said it.

I think James Templar is doing volume to mass ie putting 4335g of dry sugar in and then filling the 5L container with water.

Measuring 665g out of a 5kg bag is too much faff for me.

Honey bucket, 5kg sugar bag, 3.3ish litres hot water (strictly speaking should be 3.150 litres but too much effort to dissolve), stir, add spoonful thymol mix, job done.

OK, I'll bite.

There, I said it.

Any moment someone will be along comparing Mathematics education in Finland and the UK …

For the avoidance of doubt, the amount of sugar that needs to be added to 5 litres of water would be
- 10kg for metric 2:1 (which you'll have a heck of a job to dissolve)
or
- 8.5kg for imperial measures of 2 pounds (907g) to a UK pint (568 ml) - and even that takes a bit of stirring

4 to 5 kg would be about right for feeding-to-feed (rather than to store) …

ok,try and make sense of the NBU 1:1 syrup in their latest email that arrived today

After colonies have been treated, beekeepers should then reduce colony entrances and assess whether feeding needs to be carried out. Lift the roof off of the colony and heft the hive from each side of the brood box. If the colony has sufficient stores, then it should be difficult to lift. Each colony should have between 20-25 kg of stores for the winter.

If feeding needs to be carried out use either inverted sugar syrup or a 1:1 solution, i.e. 1kg of granulated white sugar: 650ml water

Even if this myth was true when the colonial sugar planters told the tale about European-grown beet (about 150 years ago), then it certainly is utterly untrue today.

Manley put that myth to bed back in 1948

Latest posts

Back