A newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Hunter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I'm relatively new to all this.

I grew up with beekeeping parents, for them as with most it was a hobby. I often helped out as a kid (from the mundane scraping of propolis to the more entertaining comb spinning) but recently I have developed a greater interest and it only took one visit to their hive assisted to realise the wonder. The second time I went to the hive, to apply a the first super of the season, I did it on my own. A small task but it was very gratifying to know I was helping a hive.

I am looking to, before very long, move with my wife to a more rural area and start a couple of hives as a hobby. I would ask my parents but they started beekeeping a long time ago and no doubt times have changed in requirements since they did. I'm sorry if this sort of question has been answered before, but I don't really know what is for which I'm looking, however here goes: should I get some qualification training before starting beekeeping? Or is that only if you want to go commercial? And if I enjoyed beekeeping to the point of wanting to do it commercially, what advice would you give to someone making that leap? And would I need extra qualifications?

Thank you for any information given! I've been reading books on bees and their biology/sociology, but I'm otherwise pretty lost!

I think it would be a very good idea to talk to your parents, and involve them if you can.

"Things" will have changed, but probably less radically than you imagine, mainly to do with controlling varroa - at least that's what an 83 year old beekeeper told us during a recent course.

Some of the newer beekeeping books are very comprehensive.
Beg steal or borrow Clive de Bruyns practical beekeeping - join the BBKA (you don't have to attend any branch if you don't want to) because the BBKA news is pretty good for articles and check back here regularly. The advice on here is as good as you'll get and get stuck in. There hasn't been much change in the handling and your folks seem to be doing okay if you're supering.
2nd generation beekeeper? I envy you.
Eb

And if I enjoyed beekeeping to the point of wanting to do it commercially, what advice would you give to someone making that leap? And would I need extra qualifications?

If your looking to go commercial the best way IMO is to work for a commercial bee keeper, even voluntary if you want just to get the much needed experience. All I have learnt is through commercial "on the job" training as such and you will learn a thousand times more than you will as a hobby.

Thanks!

@Bee Joyful, I didn't mean to sound like I was going to exclude them, reading back I can see that it looks like that. If things haven't changed that much, then there will be no problem :)

@Easy Beesy: haha, I hope my children will become third gen! My mum was doing agricultural studies at college so animal husbandry runs in the blood, but I am the only one of my siblings to be interested in it! I didn't realise it was that enviable but now I think about it, it will be helpful and there was nothing better than helping before the West Berkshire Agricultural Show and getting the opportunity to sit and chew the remaining honey out of the wax :p I will certainly join the BBKA when I get a job.

@Bates: That figures, but I have had various hobbies and passions and I have found that professionals have never even replied to my requests to shadow, let alone said yes! Maybe not so "professional" after all... Though maybe with the parental link to beekeeping, I might be taken a bit more seriously? Who knows. Anyway, I will get on to that asap. I really need to pass my driving test and get a car first, mind. It will really help as I'm guessing they're going to be in quite secluded areas.

Get yourself a good suit and try and go with other beekeepers when they open their hives. They will soon point out to you the few things that have changed and hopefully you will get back into the swing of it all.
Good luck and go for it!
E

Welcome to the forum :)
I should think you have a head start with beekeeping parents!
This forum is a great resource. Stay tuned...

Hi all,

I am new here too just wondering what was all this talk about a moodle? Would love to learn about bees properly :D

I am also interested in getting bee's just need to know how to do it first! hehe

Sam

moodle = online learning module (module and google = moodle)

It is something that the BBKA is working upon and it is mentioned on their website.

Wasn't there talk about hosting some learning resources on a Moodle platform (Moodle is basically an open source system that works well for such purposes) - I think I asked for a username but didn't get a reply.

Latest posts

Back