A little help from the amateur botanists out there

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Or the lobotomised, whicheve gets the best results.

All unfortunately in the rush to catch the train last Friday, i forgot to pack the two bookcases sat next to my computer desk in the study. Never being much good at flower identification I thought I'd use the wide online database at my disposal ie the forum.
Anyone know what any of these flowers are and are they any use to the bees?
I may pop the odd other photograph in just to break the monotony.

Of the first five I think the last two are Datura stramonium or Thorn Apple. Of the second lot the second flower is a Cosmos and the first black bird with the red neck...a drongo?

Last edited:
Agree with Datura, or thorn apple, I had that popping up all over my allotment a few years back.

It's a beautiful country with beautiful friendly people, poor, struggling but all smiling faces - puts some of the workshy spongers in this country to shame.They're also extremely laid back - so I fit in nicely!!
Forgot to say that the third picture of my first post is just rosehips - just looked so good I had to post it - there's tons of roses here, and if you'e read my blog you'll see that someone with a bit of business sense is making use of them.
Right, tonight, two more for you - the second couple of photos look eerily like Buddleija but when i asked the lads I was with yesterday they said there were no flowers (but not sue if i can take their word 100%) any ideas out there?
The first pair, I don't know.
Sue the Canadian lady over here tosort out the library and help with the disabled children had found a book on South African flora, but then she had a mishap and in the fuss the book has been moved and we still haven't found it.

Right, tonight, two more for you - the second couple of photos look eerily like Buddleija but when i asked the lads I was with yesterday they said there were no flowers (but not sue if i can take their word 100%) any ideas out there?
The first pair, I don't know.
Sue the Canadian lady over here tosort out the library and help with the disabled children ?had found a book on South African flora, but then she had a mishap and in the fuss the book has been moved and we still haven't found it.

Looks definitely like Buddleia to me ... they flower best on new growth, I knock mine back every year (usually) and they get covered in flowers ... but if you leave the woody stems and it gets straggly and the new growth goes from the old stems then there's a lot less flowers .... might explain the 'no flowers' ?

Been catching up on your blog ... great stuff - keep it coming.

Looks definitely like Buddleia to me .

Yes but.............. passed some earlier on not far from my residence with buds on. as I've never really looked ad buddleija in the bud (loads by me - just take it for granted) not sure what it should look like, was too laden down with kit to take a photo so I might pop up later on or take them on the way to work tomorrow (better bet I think) had an early start and finish today - lot of walking to todays 'beekeeper' (you'll hear more later. This could be classed as work today) so I wasn't going to walk all the way back to the orphanage for some office work to walk all the way back again when I could do it on the verandah (rain on the way as well - glad the rainy season's over!!)

Hi JBM the first two look like Senna corymbosa, native to Africa

Senna eh? rather the opposite for what's needed out here - unless the immodium kicks in a bit too strongly!! although touch wood, had no problems so far.My mam always said I had a cast iron stomach

:iagree: sage just rub the leaves between your fingers that will tell you if it is

You're bleddy good you lot - but not quite right - unless I've discovered a variety of sage which grown to over ten feet high and is rife over here. we had to shelter under a hedge of it this morning from a passing thunderstorm on our way to move the bees a few feet again,then it dawned on me - Miles is a horticulturalist and has been here for two years. 'Miles' I asked 'what's this?' 'Bleedin Buddleijah, can't recall the latin name, flowers are a little different to the bog standard one' Don't you love crusty old Australian tree huggers!

Latest posts

Back