A Case Of Hives by L. Heath

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biddly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Does anyone know please if this book is available as an eBook or a scanned book download or as a pdf download. Thank you so much for your help.

A two minute Google would answer your question.

Is it really worth paying £45 from amazon for what appears to be a beginners book.

There are literally loads of others you might get for free as that appears to be your driver?

PH

I have been searching online for hours but with no luck. The cheapest i can find the actual book for is £60. I thought for 96 pages it was quite expensive but maybe it is worth it. It is recommended reading by the BBKA so i thought i would.

What a fab site. Thank you, your reply is very much appreciated. I shall start reading them later.

A Case of Hives - Adrian Waring
A case of Hives is edited by Len Heath and contains contributions from a host of respected beekeepers including the editor. Each beekeeper makes the case for a particular hive design from the popular national and WBC through all the other Hives available, including the use of long hives and Skeps!

For the new beekeeper it is an invaluable source of information on the different hive designs that should help with the key first decision of which hive to go for. For both beginners and the more experienced the book gives an interesting insight into the factors that should be considered when deciding what hive to use and the importance of particular choices for particular situations. For example the WBC has a distinct advantage in an exposed site where its double wall provides extra protection from driven rain and summer heat, the further north ones goes the requirement for a larger brood area declines with the weather, thus the preference for the Smith hive in Scotland. I was surprised that such reasonable cases could be made for most of the hive designs but always in the contact of particular circumstances. Effort necessary, climate, Queen strain, cost are all key factors when making the decision on a particular design.

There are a couple of very interesting charts detailing the relative costs of hives and more interestingly the cost index per square inch of brood and super comb which reveal contrasting results on the cost of setting up an apiary with the different designs.
[Reigate website]

So let's get a reprint from Northern Books eh?

R2

Is that a quote from the book?

I sincerely hope not.

The Glen hive was invented in Aberdeenshire to accommodate the prolific black bees, most were run as brood and a half.... fifteen Nat frames with the same on top with super frames.

Pokes a wee hole in that argument eh?

PH

Back