9SN Castellated Super or 12SN Runners?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka22

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Good Morning Everybody,

I have a bit of a strange question. I have 2 types of Supers with Runners, meaning 12 SN Frames and Castellated for 9 SN Frames. We want to move them to OSR this weekend. Which Supers should I use? My thought: with 12 Frames, do they granulated quicker so I should prefer the 9 Frame Super or is there no difference?

The other Bees will stay on the Orchard (cherry and apple), we never get a lot of Honey from that, so I also wonder what to put in on them. Oh and the Frames are drawn....

Any advice from the experienced beekeepers out there?

Yes, its all SN4. On Runners you can get 12 Frames in with a bit of pushing, we always thought its 11 and a bit of space, but then the frames move and we figured out that you can get 12 in, if there is not too much Propolis attached.

So you would say no difference concerning granulation?

Yes, its all SN4. On Runners you can get 12 Frames in with a bit of pushing, we always thought its 11 and a bit of space, but then the frames move and we figured out that you can get 12 in, if there is not too much Propolis attached.

So you would say no difference concerning granulation?

Not had the dubious pleasure of having OSR but I can't see why there would be, it's virtually the same volume of honey you'd get in there anyhow.

Yes you are right, the overall volume would be the same, but I am wondering if it makes a difference if there is more Honey in each cell that it might granulate slower. I also wonder if less frames could mean its easier for the bees to keep the temperature so again slower granulation.... it's all just thoughts. Last year we had some OSR and lost Honey because we were 1 week too late for the harvest and in that 1 week it had granulated. So I am now wondering if less frames, but thicker would help.

Personally it depends on what is in the frames.

Drawn comb or foundation?

If foundation then more frames otherwise the bees will not draw them straight.

With drawn comb, it depends on how deep the comb is drawn.

I have supers with 11,10 and 9 castellated spacing and move the comb progressively from 11 to 10 to 9 as it gets fatter.

In terms of depth of comb helping to keep OSR honey from granulating I think it will have little effect and it's more about the weather (temperature).

Last year I also lost a lot of the Spring crop due to granulation as the nights were too cold during the OSR flowering. This year I'm thinking that I may test to see if using poly supers helps.

I always do the same. Fondation goes on Runners, so 12 SN4 Frames till they are drawn and then moved to Castellated 9 Frames. The jump is a bit too much I think, so I might look to get to 10 Castellated and then 9, but that's all I got right this minute...

But you are right, had the same issue last year. Weather was cold and rainy during OSR, that is why I was wondering if that could make a difference.

It would be interesting to know if 'fatter' combs made a difference. So far (it's very early) I have noticed that the hives with poly supers are already storing in there and the hives with wooden supers are less inclined but that maybe more due to the colony strength. Will know more when I get round more hives.

I have been told that using drone brood foundation in supers gives more honey per frame than the normal worker foundation. I have never tried it myself but it would seem logical because the cells are bigger.
The obvious problem is you cannot use the same frames to convert a hive to brood and a half.

I have been told that using drone brood foundation in supers gives more honey per frame than the normal worker foundation. I have never tried it myself but it would seem logical because the cells are bigger.
The obvious problem is you cannot use the same frames to convert a hive to brood and a half.

And god help you if the queen gets into the super by mistake!!

It has happened a couple of times to me....

Back