7 Years and now I'm ready!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnybeegood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I'm John, and I've been wanting to keep bees for the last 7 years since I first came up close and personal with a relative's hives on a trip to Ireland.
The problem was that my garden isn't best suited to the task, but I think I have finally found a suitable area to get things going.
I've joined my local association, and signed up for some upcoming events. I am reading a couple of books I bought myself for Christmas, and have started planting some good stuff for the girls when they arrive.
Can't wait to get started :)
:party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

Hi John
and welcome

You certainly can't be accused of rushing in to things.
Hope you enjoy the experience.
Cazza

Welcome John!

A couple of things -
- have you signed up for a beginners course? Getting a structured framework (and establishing what will hopefully be an ongoing relationship with a tutor) is a great basis for doing a bit of reading around.
Understanding why things are done in particular ways, and practically how they are done, are at least as important as learning what needs to be done!
And an Association mentoring scheme (hooking you up with a more experienced beek) is a great benefit to most beginners.
- even though the Sales are (still) on, better not to rush into buying kit. See if you can encounter some different hive types in use - before you choose! Getting your eyes (and hands!) into as many hives as possible is the best way for a beginner to accelerate the learning.
Which leads me to say that there is an exception that you should get soon - a bee-suit, so you can visit as many apiaries as possible before you get your own bees. Many beekeepers will welcome an enthusiastic, even if initially unskilled, assistant at spring cleaning time.

One thing
hope you got deep wallet because when you start you wont stop

All good thing come to those who wait and do what itma said get your hands on some bees and do a course as it will make things so much easier when you get your own bees
Good Luck and enjoy

Well done ... better late than never ... took me three years from deciding I wanted to keep bees to actually getting some. The time you spend learning, reading, meeting beekeepers, playing with other people's bees before you get your own will pay massive dividends after you get them..

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom, I am going to need all the advice I can get! Yes, I have signed up for the beginners course, which I am really looking forward to. I've been looking at the various prices and outlets for all the equipment, but won't be rushing into anything just yet, the plan is to spend this year getting prepared for next year, so loads of time to choose what is a must have and what is a could have. I have attended one association meeting and there was a fairly large turnout, hopefully I will be able to find someone who will be able to find the time to act as mentor for me. The Sheffield association have three apiaries, so there should be plenty of opportunities to get involved, and up close with the bees.

bee-smilliebee-smillie

You've just missed this winters sales. So if you can wait till October time the sales start again.

You've just missed this winters sales. So if you can wait till October time the sales start again.

Not so, the Sales are still on at Thorne and Paynes (and likely other places).

Some 'sale' goods are usually on offer at the various shows during the year, as well as at any Open Days and such.

But it really makes sense to sort out what you like working with - before buying kit.

Good luck - and watch the cheque book - it tends to buy things when you are not looking ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back