• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it's not a business
Nevertheless. There its a lot of leeway advertising here especially with established members who are generous with their advice and time but I really do think newcomers who advertise should pay their subs.
And just to be clear...these nucs are headed by open mated queens and you haven't tested their VSH?

just local mongrels basically
Well F1 Buckfast. The sort you get from the usual suppliers but you can’t claim they are VSH unless you know and that needs a season surely. You can only say they are from VSH open mated.

Hello.

As stated, the offspring of these nucs are from instrumentally inseminated VSH F0 Buckfast breeder queens, therefore wouldn't you agree that the offspring are F1 Buckfast's?

So, from your theory, every bee that is not instrumentally inseminated, island mated or mated within areas of 'extreme' isolation are merely mongrels, regardless of lineage?

If you're referring to the fact that Buckfast aren't a naturally evolved species and that their original genes are from a mix of bees, I see your point, however they are now officially known as Buckfast's.

I understand that the term F1 is not pure, just an easy term to describe lineage. I'm guessing after reading your comment that you wouldn't use the term F1 at all, just mongrels?

So you believe that most well renowned suppliers are only selling mongrels 'branded' as F1? Are your bees are 'just' local mongrels? I'm always happy to hear viewpoints and ready to listen with an open mind :)

Kind regards,
Davey
Not of any real help, but how I look at the term F1 (from years ago keeping and breeding tropical fish).
F1 were the offspring from wild pure fish, that were brought to the UK and mated. It meant first generation from native 'true' varieties. F2 were bred from F1's.
My bees could never be classed as F1, or F2 even. Just bees. Yes, they came from a true bee variety once, but that would be many years (decades even) ago.
My new queen's will go out and mate with whatever drones can catch her.
If you have a true species of honey bee, and can confirm only the queen's same species mated her, and she was not allowed to go out flying, then perhaps the F1 term could be used correctly.

Not of any real help, but how I look at the term F1 (from years ago keeping and breeding tropical fish).
F1 were the offspring from wild pure fish, that were brought to the UK and mated. It meant first generation from native 'true' varieties. F2 were bred from F1's.
My bees could never be classed as F1, or F2 even. Just bees. Yes, they came from a true bee variety once, but that would be many years (decades even) ago.
My new queen's will go out and mate with whatever drones can catch her.
If you have a true species of honey bee, and can confirm only the queen's same species mated her, and she was not allowed to go out flying, then perhaps the F1 term could be used correctly.
It could be 15 - 30 drones of different linage that your f0 queens have mated with , if you have certain control over what linage of drone you might get near that f1 ?

Latest posts

Back