Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are all your supers at right angles to the brood boxes or is that just the way the boxes are made?

Yes - good spot, but they've not got frames in

Supers on hives 2,3 & 4 (number out of shot) don't have frames in them - they're protecting feeders
The feeders all run front to back to make pouring new syrup into them without risking spillage
Those are recent splits/nucs and I'm feeding until they build out to fill the brood boxes

Hive 1, with super 8 & the blue standard brood super are active supers with mixture of capped & uncapped in 8 and drawn comb & light filling in the blue. Those - the ones with frames in - are aligned the same way
You are feeding them at present ? Why ? Their really should be enough forage for them without the need for feeding at present ...

Because there isn't
They're new splits & nucs looking to build comb in a month in which its rainy & un-flyable two days out of three
There's loads of stuff in bloom down here in Fareham and despite the showers mine are flying - it's not the best spring I've ever seen and it's certainly not a big flow - this week is going to be dry and warm - nudging 18 degrees this afternoon. Keep an eye on the ones with the feeders on, if they are splits and small colonies and it's as poor as you say you could end up with them getting robbed of there is a strong hive next door. Bees are terrible opportunists ..if one gets a whiff of that syrup they willl be in there.

Bee, you seem to have deleted all your posts. Please don't be put off by comments even if they seem like criticisms. we are all learning still and other peoples views can be valuable.

I certainly didn’t mean to criticise…just keen to learn

Latest posts

Back