500mm x 500mm excluder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Naming no names....

I ordered some National excludes and they came out the packet yesterday. Felt a bit odd but thought nothing of it until I put one on a hive. Hmm...bit of an overlay thinks I...

Just measured it and since when is this a National size? I have always thought 460 x 460 was Nat? Inflation??

PH

Naming no names....

I ordered some National excludes and they came out the packet yesterday. Felt a bit odd but thought nothing of it until I put one on a hive. Hmm...bit of an overlay thinks I...

Just measured it and since when is this a National size? I have always thought 460 x 460 was Nat? Inflation??

PH
Maisemore poly excluders for nationals are 500 x 500 marked as Dadant.

So it turns out the supplier had at the time two colours of "National" yellow and green. I informed them I had made an erroneous purchase and could I change them out. Answer was no you are out of our refund/exchange time. I thought what time? No sign of it on the site that I have noticed so no I won't be doing business again with Simon the awkward.

PH

Pretty p….poor customer relations but they’re within the company’s rights unfortunately. I presume it’s Simon the beekeeper?

It appears you don’t fall into his helping other beekeepers category or perhaps you got the wrong day😂
“The foundation of the business evolved from Simon’s passion for beekeeping and helping other beekeepers, something that has stayed with us to this day.”

I'm probably too used to Amazon now. Yes STB aka awkward. As helpful as a dead bee in my experience. But you know it's his loss as I just take my spend elsewhere.

PH

Not really wanting to trawl through it but NO company policy is above uk trading law.
Accepting returns and giving refunds: the law

but don't go for a referendum until it's resolved;)
They are within their rights to refuse!..the products are not faulty just the wrong size. Company’s can offer a reasonable return period but if that passes then they are under no obligation. Let’s face it if the products aren’t used then it would just be nice! and may have got a positive review rather than the reverse. In particular as the stated aim is to …“help other beekeepers”

But if he didn't know it was the wrong size- misled by a ambiguous description- then he should push on those grounds.
I agree stbk should honour it even if they are wrong or right- look at the bad press they're getting in this thread alone.

The suits I bought from him are good but the half dozen orders I've previously made I've had to chase problems.
Cheap for a reason.......

Poor old @Poly Hive, I think your brain must have seen:

"Poly Hive Plastic Queen Excluder- 500 mm²"

....and instantly thought these were specifically designed for you. ;) I sympathise, but guess that you'll find uses for them.

"The excluder has been specifically manufactured larger than standard wooden hive excluders to accommodate the thicker walls of a Poly Hive. 500mm x 500mm queen excluder made from plastic making the excluder strong and sturdy. The holes in the grid are perfectly designed to allow the worker bees through to the honey supers but not the queen.
Please note colours may vary.
*This excluder has been designed specifically for use in our National Poly Hives, please check other branded Poly Hives prior to purchase. You may benefit from the slightly smaller
National Plastic Queen Excluder - 460mm²"

Hi Poly,

i can swap them for you if you would like, we have hundreds of new green 460mmx460mm plastic QX, or white Swienty that are seconds, ( this is what we use).

John

Last edited:
So it turns out the supplier had at the time two colours of "National" yellow and green. I informed them I had made an erroneous purchase and could I change them out. Answer was no you are out of our refund/exchange time. I thought what time? No sign of it on the site that I have noticed so no I won't be doing business again with Simon the awkward.

PH

What they're telling you is wrong. With online sales they are legally obliged to accept a return for a full refund with no reason at all if contacted within 14 days of you receiving the item.

Do a Google search for:
Long distance selling returns

To find the . gov.uk page detailing your consumer rights. Then contact them again. I'd be contacting Trading Standards myself.

To be fair to Simon, the website does offer returns up to 30 days after you've received them. Perhaps Poly Hive can clarify the gap between receipt and request to return.
Simon (no relation)

Naming no names....

PH
I have 2 I can swap you, I wanted the bigger ones but ordered the smaller ones by mistake, still in packaging…

Latest posts

Back