3 layer jacket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
Has any1 tried the 3 layer beekeeping jackets on Ebay
Item number 303096291387
Really need one or simular the beekeeping suit I have is just way too hot ...
Any dealer in the UK sell similar items?

I got mine from Simon the Bee keeper however he only seems to have small sizes left, think I paid £60 which I think was good value.

Many on here rave about oz armour but they are based in Australia and takes a bit longer for the suits to arrive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/OZ-Armour/...5260031&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=OZ+Armour

As for a UK supplier I've seen the Sentinel Pro mention before but not heard much feedback on it: https://www.oldcastlefarmhives.com/product/sentinel-pro-ii-beekeeping-jacket/

Has any1 tried the 3 layer beekeeping jackets on Ebay
Item number 303096291387
Really need one or simular the beekeeping suit I have is just way too hot ...
Any dealer in the UK sell similar items?

Nowadays I use a Lyson jacket with a hooped hood from Abelo. No bees have stung me through it since buying it (and that includes the evil sods from the training apiary which the apiary manager and I sorted out). A pair of wrist gauntlets is a useful addition.

I bought a Sentinel at Tradex.

I really rate it - I’ll post a review at some point. But it seems reasonably cool, certainly no worse than my BBwear suit. I principally bought it for the sting resistance, and so far so good on that front. The gloves have worked well too, but do get mucky very quickly. Given I haven’t had a sting through them, I’m contemplating a second pair so I can rotate them. Fingers crossed I can get back to nitriles soon!

I got the one from ebay. The suit is good and well made. The problem lies in the hood which is shaped to push the bottom of the veil against the chin - and they easily sting through that!. Solution is scarf or even a pair of goggles around the chin. Glad I bought it, but haven't tried washing yet.

I wear a peak cap under my veil to stop it rubbing against my face.

Seriously? Ventilated suit and a scarf?

Yes! Sounds odd doesn't it? The scarf just covers the chin and falls over the shoulder. Better than a traditional scarf is the band type which is a loop of fleecy material you pop over your head. Idon't know what they're called but they're light and to easy to breathe through. You don't wrap yourself up as though it's a winter's day. I've also used goggles which again sounds odd, but a pair of goggles as used for DIY hanging round the neck keeps the veil away from the chin. The hood is very protective over the head but being stiff, it pushes the chin part back against the skin as you move. With the chin cover, the whole is good; I've had to move away from a hive because there were so many bees on me that I couldn't see anything at all and had no stings. Beware the sizes. I'm only 5'9 and 40 chest but the XL size is just right.
I always used a peaked cap until I got this gear, but the strength of the hoops is good at the top so not only is a peaked cap difficult to wear, but another peak would further push the top out and the chin in. Odd as they don't look that different from the photos on the websites.

Last edited:
Oz Armour all day long for me..over the past few days it has been warm tea shirt weather and I have been happily working the bees nice and cool knowing I can not be stung..apart from my hands but I can live with that.
:iagree:
I bought one during winter direct from ozarmour and must say it’s the best suit I have ever had. Nice and comfortable in the present warm weather and when dealing with a particularly nasty (non Buckfast) swarm from late last year which are shockers, not a single sting.
I was concerned about import tax but this in reality was covered by supplier.
S

OZ all the way brilliant in warm weather

I used my new ozarmour suit today for the first time..... brilliant

:iagree:
I bought one during winter direct from ozarmour and must say it’s the best suit I have ever had. Nice and comfortable in the present warm weather and when dealing with a particularly nasty (non Buckfast) swarm from late last year which are shockers, not a single sting.
I was concerned about import tax but this in reality was covered by supplier.
S

can I just ask who was your supplier that covered the import tax ?

getting fed up of being stung through my current suit when dealing with blighters who wait til the skin is taut !

can I just ask who was your supplier that covered the import tax ?

getting fed up of being stung through my current suit when dealing with blighters who wait til the skin is taut !

The stings are not too much of a problem to me..having a shower after each inspection was using my old suit...that is the main reason I bought the OZ suit..now I am cool working the bees with no curse words in involved..

I bought one of the 3 layer ventilated (full suit) ones off ebay as asked and it works very well so far. One thing that scared me initially is that you can feel the bees momentum in the back of your head and ears. Other than that I had no stings but only used it a couple times and did not upset them too much.

I got my oz armour directly from the suppliers in Australia and did have to pay import tax, I guess it's the luck of the draw. As for the suit, it's a bit bulky but it does appear to be sting proof and it is lovely and cool.

Never seen one of these suits, but isn't it more difficult to see through three layers of mesh?

It only has a single layer veil but is well designed to keep it away from your face.
I used mine last weekend to deal with a particularly nasty hive of local bees that came as a swarm and I foolishly overwintered, never had a sting despite being covered with them.
S

Latest posts

Back