2nd swarms (not casts)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With the fantastic early conditions that we are experiencing, at least in my part of Buckinghamshire, resulting in so many early swarms i was wondering what the view is regarding 2nd swarms. To be clear i am not talking about casts here. I have never had a swarm building up to such a point it swarms again in the same year nor have i had a swarmed colony building up to a point it tries to swarm again. I was always told that queens reared in the current year will not swarm no matter what - is this correct? cheers

:iagree:

-no matter what

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

In the words of B Mobus? - bees do nothing invariably.

It was actually Manley - and he attributed it to a regular lady contributor to a beekeeping magazine in the 1920's! I suppose with such an apt phrase we all would use it at one time or another (just most of us are not famous enough to have the quote attributed to us!)

ok so many of you may have the time to undertake full inspections each week regardless of the likelihood of swarms but others may have a little less time - so i guess what i'm asking is what's the likelihood of a 2nd swarm. PS i have noted not to come out with such sweeping statements for fear of ridicule going forward - sorry will try harder!

A strong primary swarm headed by a good prolific queen setting up a new colony in maybe a smaller than ideal nest site with abundant forage could build up quickly enough to decide to swarm again. remember swarms have been reported in September.
Whoever told you that queens won't swarm in the first year 'no matter what' needs to pipe down before his head is put in a vice and 'ID!OT' tattooed on his forehead.
Just my opinion of course :D

"Whoever told you that queens won't swarm in the first year 'no matter what' needs to pipe down before his head is put in a vice and 'ID!OT' tattooed on his forehead"

i will book my 84 year old dad and my 78 year old aunt into the local tattoo saloon this afternoon!

"Whoever told you that queens won't swarm in the first year 'no matter what' needs to pipe down before his head is put in a vice and 'ID!OT' tattooed on his forehead"

i will book my 84 year old dad and my 78 year old aunt into the local tattoo saloon this afternoon!

Is the shorter one called John?:biggrinjester:

(private joke - JBM)

Latest posts

Back