Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
30 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
PH, I've just found a supplier of 20mm foam like yours so I though I would have a go at making a brood box out of it. What adhesive do you use?

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Mine is 25m.

I use standard external wood glue and currently dowels. I am looking at using ply in the joints as an extended "biscuit".

What style of brood are you considering?

PH

derekm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Dow Floormate has about the same thermal conductivity as EPS polystyrene(0.035 W/mK) so it doesnt perform as well as the Kingspan/Celltex/Recticel (0.23 W/mK), but as i ve found the trick is finding the correct mix of contruction technique, thermal and mechanical performance. For me I would go to 50mm to get the thermal performance.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
. For me I would go to 50mm to get the thermal performance.
Thanks Derek, but I'm a cedar man who just enjoys the challenge of seeing if it's possible to construct a national from a different material as close as possible. If I use anything thicker than 20mm the box would not match the rest of my kit.
I'm sure the PIR at 20mm with be more thermally efficient than 18mm cedar :)

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Mine is 25m.

I use standard external wood glue and currently dowels. I am looking at using ply in the joints as an extended "biscuit".

What style of brood are you considering?

PH
Standard external glue? Is that acrylic or PU? I use Soudal Pro45P when constructing timber hives, its cheap and effective.

I'm trying to make a National brood box as close to standard dimensions as possible.

Last edited:

Courty 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi PH,
I’m looking forward to your update in August. I’ve been looking into nuc options along Michael Palmer’s model with half brood box size that would fit over a split brood box.
To make these half size boxes I wondered if I cut an Abelo brood box in half, I could insert a foam wall inside the cut off point to complete the fourth wall. Using dowels and glue it seems possible. However, I’m not sure if the top and bottom edges of the foam would live up to the rigours of propolis, hive tools and being prised apart.
You mentioned a wooden strip as a biscuit, maybe a wood strip would be needed.
Does this sound do-able?
Thanks,
Courty

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
I am leaning that way too (plywood biscuit) as I am finding the drill bit over reams holes for dowell but I can get a very neat and precise cut with either the table saw or the router.

PH

Courty 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thanks for the reply.
Are foam edges sturdy enough or do they need wood edging?
Abelo poly hives have plastic edges on the rims of their brood and super boxes.

Courty