200 pollen sacks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Can't believe the pollen going into my hive which don't build up the stores. Counted 109 bees in and only 9 without pollen. Usually it is around 20% with pollen. I supply the syrup and they do the pollen? Or are they off brood rearing again?

Its lovely to watch the pollen going into the hive at any time of the year but more satisfying at this time of year they are stocking up and will need it in the very late months and very early ones and will if everything else goes to plan get them off to a good start next year.

Unfortunately I am not that close to my hives and did wonder at work today it would have been nice to have spent a bit of time watching the entrances and passing a bit of time with the girls but I will have to hope for a similar nice day this weekend or next Wednesday when I will be volunteering right next door.

Yesterday afternoon the majority of mine were coming in with pollen. Barely any this morning. Normal sort of proportion this afternoon.
I reckon something "came ripe" and they went to town on it.

Its lovely to watch the pollen going into the hive at any time of the year but more satisfying at this time of year they are stocking up and will need it in the very late months and very early ones and will if everything else goes to plan get them off to a good start next year.

Unfortunately I am not that close to my hives and did wonder at work today it would have been nice to have spent a bit of time watching the entrances and passing a bit of time with the girls but I will have to hope for a similar nice day this weekend or next Wednesday when I will be volunteering right next door.

Hi Tom Bick,
You are tuning in to my hunter gatherer instinct and I am looking forward to going phew the summer is over and we can all have a rest - BUT THE BEES WON'T LET ME.

Hi Tom Bick,
You are tuning in to my hunter gatherer instinct and I am looking forward to going phew the summer is over and we can all have a rest - BUT THE BEES WON'T LET ME.

Eventually they do stop and let us rest but then all we do is worry hoping they are all ok. :D

mine too have been bringing sackfuls home, looked very congested around the entrance

http://youtu.be/p9sKslC6ano

Mine have been going hammer and tong like this for the past couple of weeks. Nothing seems to be keeping them in.

I would love to know what they have found. Don't think its ivy because the ivy around here has only just started flowering and they have been super busy for over a week.

I had booked a half day today to go through them but forces conspired against me so my half day got binned :-( Finger crossed for nice weather on Saturday.

Back