2 swarms 5 yards apart. Treat as 1 ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have 2 small sized swarms that were captured only 5 yards apart. I have placed them in separate nucs, but wondering if they are likely to be two parts of the same swarm? They appeared on the same day (Yesterday) in the Poor weather.

Could be the same swarm but I think you have done the right thing to home them separately. Once they have settled and you have checked them to see if they are queen -right, you can always combine them if one is not.

... I have placed them in separate nucs, but wondering if they are likely to be two parts of the same swarm? ...

If they are two parts of one swarm, they would likely recombine themselves, usually during the "leave the box(es) on site until evening before closing up, so as to collect all the fliers/scouts" stage of the proceedings.

I had 2 swarms only inches apart. They emerged at the same time, flew around effectively in a single cloud of bees, then formed 2 swarms on the same bush. I put then in separate boxes and both have turned out to have a queen.

Keep separate. if both queenright both will be calm. If one Queenless it will start being foul and roaring.. combine. 24 hrs should tell you.

Latest posts

Back