2 hives wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roybaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I currently have 2 WBC hives; 1 active and 1 empty. I have the 2nd as I had a swarm last year and got the 2nd to house it but it didn't survive over the winter. Ideally, I would like 2 healthy active hives but am aware that my 1st hive is likely to swarm again. Do I keep the 2nd hive free in anticipation or obtain a 2nd nuc now and try to manage the 1st hive to prevent it swarming? It strikes me that you always need another hive to house the probable swarm one will have.
How do most deal with this?
Thanks for any insight; this is only my 2nd year as you may be able to tell!
RB

RB

You are correct that 2 (colonies) hives is really the minimum for self sustaining beekeeping. If you really want expense of an "early" start to the season then I would buy a nuc if you can find one for sale and build up in a nuc box and then if number 1 hive starts putting up queen cells you can either do an artificial swarm with other WBC or put bees from nuc in second WBC and use nucleus method swarm control with now spare nuc box. You will never regret having a spare nuc box as well as two hives.

Last edited:
Altogether now - Hives don't swarm, colonies do. I saw it on a documentary on BBC2. Apologies to Fun Lovin Criminals

If you reach your ideal 2 colonies, you will need spare kit in any case, so:
Buy more kit.
:)

I currently have 2 WBC hives; 1 active and 1 empty. I have the 2nd as I had a swarm last year and got the 2nd to house it but it didn't survive over the winter. Ideally, I would like 2 healthy active hives ...

It strikes me that you always need another hive to house the probable swarm one will have.
How do most deal with this?

Pardon me, if like Luminos I don't start where you expect.
You need some spare kit ready to deal with swarming behaviour from your eventual two colonies.
You need to plan the method of artificial swarm that you would use, and how you would reunite (noting that you have WBCs - which involve a little specific consideration).
That action is going to need spare kit (exactly what will depend on your chosen method).
And you need to consider that both your colonies might need attention at the same time! So you need something more (even a nuc box) as a temporary measure for dealing with hive number 2, while you sort out No 1.

Having two colonies (and some spare kit in addition) is a minimum sustainable apiary. You have on hand a full set of (bee) spares - eggs, brood, stores - should you find you need them!

OK. So, apart from needing more kit for where you want to be, where do you go from here? Unless you are desperate for a honey crop this year, I'd be thinking in terms of splitting your existing colony, and looking to overwinter two colonies. The split may be forced upon you if No 1 goes into swarm mode ... though you might still choose to recombine for a better chance of a honey crop.
You might then hope to acquire a late swarm (or make a late split, possibly using someone else's surplus queen) and try again to build it for the winter. All good experience.

In passing, I'd remark that single-brood WBC is very likely to go into swarm mode, because of having a smaller brood box than even the standard National. Brood and a half (or double brood, or the more involved change to 14x12 WBC) is advisable to avoid constant risk of swarming!

Roybaz, as new beeks also starting our second year we have formed the opinion that for every hived colony we/you have, we/you will need at least another floor+broodbox+crownboard+roof as each colony has the potential to reproduce at some point each year

"Buy more kit" seems to be the best way to not to get caught out

AND CLIP THE QUEEN YOU STILL HAVE BEFORE SHE BUZZES OFF with about half of whatever is in the hive, workers and stores.

I have overwintered bees in a standard WBC brood box with a cobbled together National type OMF and an insulated roof/crownboard... covered outside of box with Cellotex 75mm

Now have WBC hives that will take an 18x18 National sized brood box !

Get more kit !

Back