2 Entrance Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imirir uses his marketing imagination. The story above is not true.

It is basic fact, that when you have a mesh floor, then do not use upper entrances. Ventilation is then too strong.

What kind of honey flow? 5 kg in one day or 5 kg in a week?

Imirie sells his beekeeping stuff. All those , like that shim, are not needed.

As far as i am aware George Imirie died quite some time ago and sells nothing ?. I have used these several times and feel that they give improved production and less congestion of brood boxes, but it is always interesting to hear other peoples considered opinions and suggestions. I run my hives with open mesh floors without QE. At present their is no need for shims or even extra supers due to poor cold weather. At moment i would be happy with 5 Kg every two weeks ?.

Imirie shim is this kind of thing. .... Vau.

211Imirieshim.jpg

And upper entrance

Wrapping-colony3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm afraid you're wrong JBG, there is a rim on a standard floor (about 20mm) which the BB sits upon - thus increasing the beespace below the brood frames to about 26mm or so

Unless you have underfloor entrance floors such as mine where the BB sits directly onto the floor thus no increase in beespace.

depends on the type of hive, mine are bottom bee space, the floor is flat.
I fail to see how adding this http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/images/211Imirieshim.jpg. between a super & BB would not affect beespace, please explain because to me its making a gap of about an extra 8mm

So they are under floor entrances not bottom beespace floors - most brood boxes used by amateurs and national owners are 'bottom beespace' which describes whether the top bars are flush with the top of the hives not 6mm ubder (top beespace) Not whether the entrance is under the frames. So instead of assuming everyone out there has paid through the nose for this type of non standard floorwhich gives only a beespace (6mm or so) under the frame bottom bars bear in mind that most standard hive floors have a raise rim which the brood box sits on therefore giving 25/26mm gap under the bottom bars.

So they are under floor entrances not bottom beespace floors - most brood boxes used by amateurs and national owners are 'bottom beespace' which describes whether the top bars are flush with the top of the hives not 6mm ubder (top beespace) Not whether the entrance is under the frames. So instead of assuming everyone out there has paid through the nose for this type of non standard floorwhich gives only a beespace (6mm or so) under the frame bottom bars bear in mind that most standard hive floors have a raise rim which the brood box sits on therefore giving 25/26mm gap under the bottom bars.

I didnt pay through the nose i paid through paypal :)
Ah, ok, thanks for that , do they not build brace comb with such a large gap below the frames, or will they only do this if there is such a large gap between super & brood frames?
Maybe mine having the small gap above the floor is why they are doing so well, what do you think?

All my hives have underfloor entrances - but I can compare to the association hives which are mostly standard floors - no difference in performance really.
One thing you have to be mindful of - due to the minimal clearance under the brood frames bees tend to put their swarm cells anywhere and not often on the bottom bars

All my hives have underfloor entrances - but I can compare to the association hives which are mostly standard floors - no difference in performance really.
One thing you have to be mindful of - due to the minimal clearance under the brood frames bees tend to put their swarm cells anywhere and not often on the bottom bars

Yes ive found they are usually at the sides but i check all over , you never know.

That board is similar to mine. I have one with a clear board in it and my husband made a notch just like the one shown. I put it on the very top of the hive with the notch on the lower side...to allow the drones an escape route but the girls are using it too....presumably to get in and out of the supers. I put the inspections boards in under the OMF as we are very windy here. Once the frames have finished clearing of brood.....then the board will no longer be required.

Latest posts

Back