1st 2018 queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickbees23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Inspected a few nuc's today and found the 1st of this years queens and you couldn't miss her. She is almost orange in colour. I have never had a queen so bright I probably won't need to mark her. Strange thing is all her worker sisters from that brood period are reasonably dark. Queens in my local area are usually black or a dark bronze colour so quite a surprise.

This nuc is a split from my garden colony that was out in the frost and snow in March and drinking snow melting on the roof. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out as she looks nothing like her mother or any bees I have.

I know some old time beekeepers would squash her for daring to be that colour but we live in a diverse country now and have to be accepting of Gingers of all creeds so she will get her chance.

Cheers, Mick.

Wish some of mine were laying, regardless of colour. Perfect mating weather...and they are playing silly buggers. Patience is not one of my good points :)

Congrats!

We had a QC that had the lid off at the last inspection and I thought that best practise was to not disturb them. I left her alone so she is unmarked.

I only went in quite quickly this week to excise other QC and split them to a nuc that had lost a Q. Then I was minded not to disturb them further for a goodly while - 3 weeks I read somewhere - is this correct? Thanks

BeeCool❄️

Latest posts

Back