14x12 to standard brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
osb

RHM = Rose Hive Method ...OSB = cheap Chinese wood

Norbord OSB is made in Scotland. Inverness I think?

(and it ain't cheap)

Last edited:
Sorry HM but as this is a begin section question, you might like to give that one an explanation. what do you use for brood?

Regards

FB

I can’t speak for HM but a lot of commercial beekeepers like double brood. You can check for queen cells in 30 seconds by tipping the top box up and a double box with same size frames makes splitting easy.

I can’t speak for HM but a lot of commercial beekeepers like double brood. You can check for queen cells in 30 seconds by tipping the top box up and a double box with same size frames makes splitting easy.

Yes I appreciate that but I'm not a beginner!!!!!

However, I would be interested in understanding HMs comment as I have a few of the abominal 14 x 12s myself.

also the range of responses to the OP (some accurate and some not so) might assist the newbies already struggling not only with the hive type to go with but the added issue of the brood container as in brood, brood + half, double brood, 14 x 12 etc.

Thanks anyway

FB

RHM = Rose Hive Method ...OSB = cheap Chinese wood

Norbord OSB is made in Scotland. Inverness I think?

(and it ain't cheap)

Yes/No. They export the raw materials (chipped scottish pine) then re-import the finished product - brings a lot of jobs/money to Inverness, owns the football ground/team as well so all the lads working for him get freebies to the matches.
We used to berth alongside their sheds - many a night we would sit in the wheelhouse watching the rats play on the woodchip mountains :D

In response to Fred. I think that like most folks, I started with single national brood boxes. Found they did not have enough room and moved to brood and a half. Found the different size frames a nuisance and for years now have worked double brood. Was asked by a friend to go and find his queen for him, and arrived to find he worked 14x12's. Found them very unwieldy, but did find HM.
If I were to start again I would use commercial BB and national supers.

Last edited:
14 x 12 makes for a very heavy box.

I treated yesterday and had to move one of my Nat broods and that is more than heavy enough for me now. I hate to think how weighty a full 14 x 12 gets? 120 lbs.

PH

14 x 12 makes for a very heavy box.

I treated yesterday and had to move one of my Nat broods and that is more than heavy enough for me now. I hate to think how weighty a full 14 x 12 gets? 120 lbs.

PH

This winter the heaviest (all cedar) 14x12 with x1 super, pine roof & OMF = 126 lbs

" You can check for queen cells in 30 seconds by tipping the top box up "

I run doubles and often this is just not true so beware.

PH

PH
I have seen Queen cells buried into the middle of the brood frames that could only have been found by pulling the frames fully out, i missed one the same last year and i found the looser of the battle half dead on the landing strip.

PH

I run doubles and this is indeed a myth. If they are in full swarm mode you do see the cells but it doesn't replace a full inspection.

I have 14 x 12's, don't see what the problem is. I don't try to lift with floor, stand, super and roof all on and a fully laden 14 x 12 brood box is probably only about 30kgs and most relatively fit men could lift that with ease. I can appreciate it though if you are of a slighter build and shorter arms it could create problems.

most relatively fit men

and those not within that description include the ladies (thought I'd start with them) relatively unfit men and members of both sexes clever enough with their beekeeping to experience that it weighs more than 35kg.
Even so I would not want to pick them up too often.

Regards

FB

ps one out of three of the above criteria not bad?

Last edited:
What’s the difference in weight between a full 14 x 12 and a full commercial BB? I was thinking about going for a larger size rather than double brood National.

most relatively fit men

and those not within that description include the ladies (thought I'd start with them) relatively unfit men and members of both sexes clever enough with their beekeeping to experience that it weighs more than 35kg.
Even so I would not want to pick them up too often.

Regards

FB

ps one out of three of the above criteria not bad?

A good northern farmers lass would carry one under each arm. :)

I have 14 x 12's, don't see what the problem is. I don't try to lift with floor, stand, super and roof all on and a fully laden 14 x 12 brood box is probably only about 30kgs and most relatively fit men could lift that with ease. I can appreciate it though if you are of a slighter build and shorter arms it could create problems.

The issue is not the weight but the horizontal distance of the centre of gravity from the backbone of the lifter i.e the leverage the weight has which has to be counteracted by tension in the spine, which then has to take both the weight and the increased tension.

Back