14X12 nuc hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jallen

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all 14X12 nucs plans shamelessly nicked form web lol.

They look good - I would fix a bit of mesh inside the roof to cover the ventilation hole(s). If left open they are an "open window" to robber bees.:leaving:

Regards Mike

there covered buy plastic mesh off a corex nuc

Sorry but looks like a few measurements may be a bit wrong to me two big a gap from the ends of the side bars to the sides of the box. Should have 7-8mm on each side looks like a lot more to me.

Last edited:
It is fixable though sorry to rain on your parade, pity you are not west London then you can alter them in my workshop

Agree with Tom. And the frame lug clearance looks too big. And the top bar clearance across the box.

Entrance might just be OK if only to be used in the summer, but probably not. No good for winter use.

Is that hole in the coverboard for feeding?

Are they top or bottom space? Assuming they are top space?

Why no OMF fitted? Or maybe there is?

Apart from those possible points, not bad for a start.

RAB

well the frames are the roung size lol there not 12/14 lol bottom bee spacs entraces is at the bottom to

yep hole i crown bord for feeding theres enought spaces for a 1L feeder under the roof

Not sure we are on the same wavelength here.

What are the frames if they are not National?

Coverboards appear to be simply sheet material? Can't see too well but they dont look as though they are bottom bee space. Might be, I s'pose.

RAB

Hi Jallen,

Nice clean job, the bees will probably love them.

I made 3 standard National nucs from plans off the web. Mercifully before I assembled them I offered up a DN4 frame, to find that the length measurements were too generous, so I adapted them ( can also happen if you use a different thickness of ply to that specified).

Seems to be similar problem for you in that your top bars appear too short, and too much space between the frame side bars and the hive walls. Offering up the correct frame size before cutting or making up was a tip I picked up off the forum. I now realise how crucial bee space is - was not so aware when I made them.

Like you I also cut out a circular entrance hole, some distance up off the floor. I think what O90O is getting at is it makes it difficult for them to remove dead bees. Only used my boxes in the summer. If I see a problem I will modify that too

Last edited:
Agree with Tom. And the frame lug clearance looks too big. And the top bar clearance across the box.

Entrance might just be OK if only to be used in the summer, but probably not. No good for winter use.

Is that hole in the coverboard for feeding?

Are they top or bottom space? Assuming they are top space?

Why no OMF fitted? Or maybe there is?

Apart from those possible points, not bad for a start.

RAB

There's nothing like a little encouragement...

Skyhook,

I did say: 'not bad for a start'

No point in being less than honest.

Those plans, nicked shamelessly, may just be worth exactly what they cost the OP!

Perhaps I should have said 'go ahead, make another ten'?

There are other little bits of finesse, like somehow to easily pick them up which were obviously not a high priority for the original designer.

However good something may look, unless it is purely a work of art, it should be fit for purpose.

RAB

It looks that, like me, Jallen is a newcomer. As I posted above I learnt from my mistakes and with the help of others more experienced, I hope to continue to expand my knowledge. I hope Jallen does too. As I said in my last post I got the tip of offering up a frame from this forum.

I welcome constructive criticism, I also welcome being encouraged to learn. O90O's blunt and frank manner have helped me in the past too - making me go and look or work for the knowledge, but I see could be off putting to some.

It takes all sorts to have so many different opinions, none more so than in beekeeping

Having made a fair number of these in recent years I would say they will do the job admirably .
My only suggestion would be to fit a section of varroa floor type mesh in one end to allow air flow , mine got very mouldy in the bottom when the nucs built in to larger colonies .
I use a 2 inch hole cutter just above floor level and staple the mesh to the inside of the box . The bees propolise it up if its too draughty and clear it out if not . A varroa floor would be an easy retro fit if you want to go down that road .
G

Hi Jallen, Your nuc boxes will be fine. I made the same ones from the online plans & I found that with the bees propolising between the hoffman spacing my six frames now fit!!! lol. If your gap is maybe bigger than mine was then just stick a dummy board in there.

Oliver 90 - There are other little bits of finesse, like somehow to easily pick them up which were obviously not a high priority for the original designer.

Have another look , they are easy to pick up!

Hi Jallen, Your nuc boxes will be fine. I made the same ones from the online plans & I found that with the bees propolising between the hoffman spacing my six frames now fit!!! lol. If your gap is maybe bigger than mine was then just stick a dummy board in there.

I think the issue is more the space at the front and back than at the sides, ie between the side bars and the end of the box. Easiest fix for this is to glue another bit of ply of a suitable thickness inside.

Have another look, they are easy to pick up!

I did. Elucidate? Remember this could be nearly as heavy as a cedar Standard deep brood National.

RAB

Latest posts

Back