14 x 12 hives....is it such a problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21 or 22 brood frames. The long hive is designed so I can fit 2 national supers on top side-by-side. I guess I could have used standard brood frames rather than 14x12; the bees would occupy more horizontal space in the hive.

I have a long deep hive .. up to 25 14x12 frames. I find it a very productive hive from the bees point of view .. always huge colonies which I use as donors to my 14 x 12's. It's not a massive honey producer but extracting 14 x 12 frames is a bit of a trial so I'm not that bothered - they tend to get used as bee food. I like my LDH a lot .. but .. you can't move it .. even without bees it's a two man job !

I found the Amm I had back in the 90's didn't like the square frames as much as they did the rectangular. They seemed to struggle with the space.

PH

Morgan going back to your post if you have proper buckfast or f1 you will struggle to keep them in 14x12 that’s effectively brood and a half mine will often push into 3 broods during the main flow filling a large percentage of the bottom box with pollen alone. Imo I find dbl brood so much more flexible and in terms of wintering most of mine do so in a single brood.

Three 14 x 12 brood boxes?

Who did you buy those bees from? The Jolly Green Giant?

Perhaps I should have made it clear that BS as far as I understood means British Standard!

21 or 22 brood frames. The long hive is designed so I can fit 2 national supers on top side-by-side. I guess I could have used standard brood frames rather than 14x12; the bees would occupy more horizontal space in the hive.

Thanks for that. My experience with long deep hives is much the same as Pargyle's, and should mention that I seldom get a swarm unless I create the right conditions in the hive, but that might be unique to my particular situation.

I have flirted with 14 x 12's and Commercials but have gone back to 14 x 8.5's.

I have all 14x12 nationals and have been pleased with them on the whole.

What I lile about them is:

Lots of cells for a big brood nest but I only have 11 frames to inspect which makes it very quick.

The bees (usually) have plenty of winter stores available in the broodbox once fed, even for a big colony.

My bees, which are all bred from local swarms I have caught, appreciate the space and don't usually want to swarm at strange times as they have plenty of space.

The downsides are:
Frames are heavy once full on honey, but in that case youre probably not going to be holding them for long compared to the lighter ones with mainly brood in.

You have to be a bit more careful when doubling up for uniting and queen rearing to ensure the bees can keep it warm. If early in the season, I put celotex panels on the outside of the hive if I need to double up for any reason.

Overall, I really like them and don't need to clutter my shed with as many boxes and frames as if I had brood and a half.

Three 14 x 12 brood boxes?

Who did you buy those bees from? The Jolly Green Giant?

Perhaps I should have made it clear that BS as far as I understood means British Standard!

Lol 3 bs broods as I said with large colonies they will often fill the bottom brood chamber with pollen and if the queen has the option will move into a 3rd. For me and I use a good number of broods as supers it’s an easy option to add an additional empty deep box above existing broods and between any full supers, in particular at peak time.

Thanks for that ian, little concerning about the buckfast filling it that quick, I'll have to pay close attention to this in the coming season

Thank you to everyone for your replies, sorry it's taken a little while to get back.

I think all the worry is going now and feel like the right decision about using the 14x12 brood boxes

Thank you to everyone for your replies, sorry it's taken a little while to get back.

I think all the worry is going now and feel like the right decision about using the 14x12 brood boxes

Ha Ha ... No chance... you'll just find that the bees give you something else to worry about ...

The more you know... the less you understand !

Standard National brood boxes are more than enough when full of honey(i use them as supers when pushed)..anything bigger and i fear it would end me..and i am still fit ..

Standard National brood boxes are more than enough when full of honey(i use them as supers when pushed)..anything bigger and i fear it would end me..and i am still fit ..

Well ... I'd agree with that but who in their right mind would use a 14 x 12 brood box as a honey super and try and lift it in one go. I occasionally get 14 x 12 brood frames filled with honey and it's no big deal to lift them out one at a time if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please
Steve, Phillip and Nigel.
Stop fighting in the beginners section.
If you want a punch up do it via PM.

Latest posts

Back