12 oz or 1lb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont forget - If you are selling to farm shops, village shops, you need a hygiene certificate from your local council and also batch number labels.

If you are selling from the "farm gate" direct to the end user you dont need the above

We also sell 12oz hex jars for £5. We used to sell 1lb jars for £6, but apart from having more jars to go round, so more customers happy, it also makes the money side a lot easier having a round figure. No need to have lots of coins around for change.

We have only had 1 person comment on the price, a nice Chinese lady who previously got her honey for £5/lb. As her usual suppliers had no honey she was "happy" enough to buy ours :)

In our limited experience, the hex jars sell the premium product better than the 1lb jars. Easier to store too thanks to the ingeniously efficient shape ;)

Dont forget - If you are selling to farm shops, village shops, you need a hygiene certificate from your local council and also batch number labels.

If you are selling from the "farm gate" direct to the end user you dont need the above

Good advice, thank you... I personally had forgotten this 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Do you mean they have to inspect your extraction room or are you on about a food hygiene certificate?

We had 12oz and 1lb on the same table with the pricing quite clear - but people said 'I'll have the 1lb..' we sold 1 12oz, and only because we had run out of lbs!! I think our area is more traditional with an older demographic...

Veg - Health officers may come round and check you are not extracting with a dog by your feet and a cat on the work surface - but it is quite easy...and a hygiene cert. never hurts and can be done online with ease...

Do you mean they have to inspect your extraction room or are you on about a food hygiene certificate?

Actually, I think different areas bother with premises and people certificates to different degrees (for honey at least).

I don't think a food hygiene cert is needed though, i did one years ago that has since run out. I have never been asked by environmental health for one, even though they know I sell to shops.

You can apply online but they wont issue the certificate until they have inspected and OK'd your extraction/bottling procedure. Its a formality if using a domestic kitchen and using common sense due to honey being a low risk foodstuff

They want to make sure the honey doesnt become contaminated in any way, they are checking for things like - dont put full supers directly onto the ground, when transporting supers put them on plastic sheeting, use food grade plastic or stainless steel implements (im amazed by the number of ancient non stainless extractors that people seem to buy off e bay).

Its just red tape really, Ive got one because it also gives reassurance to the shops and I thought it would be a bit embarrasing if a shop asked to see it and I didnt have one!

Sorry he called my potential customers st*pid

Rubbish! Cearly reading plain English is not your forte. That is what I was wondering and still am. I suggest you read it again.

And he told me to think very carefully about my sales strategy?

Most certainly did not. I said, quote 'I reckon you need to think ...'. A personal opinion that I stand by. Even more so now.

Let's look at it in context. The OP will have one size and does not appear to be going to buy jars by the thousand. If he wants to sell his honey rather than give it away he should consider all the marketing strategies to reduce his potential losses (time, effort and expense). Selling in the larger format can be far more cost efficient unless there is local competition, or a better mark-up than 33p for each pound of honey.

Personally, I'm not one to needlessly throw away money, work inefficiently or spend more time than necessary to jar a given amount of honey. I would not be needlessly marketing honey in 12 oz jars for a mark-up of only 33p per pound of product.

Selling in the larger format can be far more cost efficient unless there is local competition

Hah!! Everywhere I go thinking about trying to get them to sell my honey??? The Basterfield family have got there first!!!!

:judge:"
oliver90owner
Queen Bee

Hive Type: 14x12
I have tried both size jars and my hexagonal 12oz jars outsell the 1lb jars 4 to 1. I charge £4 for 12oz and £5 for 1lb.

A simple ratio such as 4:1 does not tell all the story.

Your price differential is small - only about 33p per pound weight.

I am wondering whether your customers are st*pid and think they get better value or what. Anyhow, for every three jars in one pounders you would need an extra jar and label to sell the same weight in 3/4 lb jars. I can see shipping should be cheaper for the smaller jars but they always seem to be so much more expensive that I am thinking you are actually losing money by packaging in the smaller size?

Of course, your findings may not be true if you were to only offer one size or the other and certainly would not be so if, indeed, you sell all the honey you have available.

So, in a nutshell, I reckon you need to think very carefully about your sales strategy.

You don't mention the shape of your one pounders. I expect they are the normal cheaper round jars?"

I think this reply to say the least was very badly thought out rough in its wording and ill mannered. Did you get stung today? You could have given the same information in a less rude manner.

You denied in a later post that you used the words "think very carefully about your sales strategy." and curtailed the quote. are you a politician? and you did imply that his customers were stupid because you were "wondering whether your customers are st*pid and think they get better value"
Man up and apologise for being not just abrupt in your first post, but accusing someone of being misleading when you are trying to cover up your bad manners.:icon_204-2:

Last edited:

Hah!! Everywhere I go thinking about trying to get them to sell my honey??? The Basterfield family have got there first!!!!

Perhaps because they have a lot of hives, can maintain a reasonably consistent supply, and have been in the business a long time.

I sell only in 340g/12oz jars at £5 or £6 depending if it is OSR or runny honey, other local BKAs charge £6 minimum for 12oz(£8 per lb)

If the customer says that is expensive I always show a 12oz jar of Tesco finest English honey which retails now at £4.99. I then say well, it is a penny cheaper for the tesco stuff, buy it there if you wish but i cannot guarantee it is local honey to us

Not a personal attack:

"I am wondering whether your customers are st*pid and think they get better value or what"

"So, in a nutshell, I reckon you need to think very carefully about your sales strategy".

Sorry he called my potential customers st*pid

And he told me to think very carefully about my sales strategy?

:ohthedrama:

I really think you need to read more carefully because he did NOT call your customers stupid.. and you quote him to prove your case when it proves he did not.

Either you don't understand English as she is wrote or... :willy_nilly:

I really think you need to read more carefully because he did NOT call your customers stupid.. and you quote him to prove your case when it proves he did not.

Either you don't understand English as she is wrote or... :willy_nilly:

of course he did, he enjoys playing with words and winding people up and that's what he's doing here - usual cr*p from the same people defending him

playing with words

Not 'playing'.

I am just very careful to write exactly what I mean and to be honest. One sometimes wonders about some of the posts on the forum ... like whether the poster has actually read what was written before replying, or even able to properly read what was written. I do realise there is a wide spectrum of literacy out there but can only respond to what has been written. Advice to this OP of selling in 12oz hex may well be flawed and the OP needs to realise that. Hex jars are more expensive, particularly in small quantities. I have not checked (more than knowing Th8rne approx prices for comparison) but somehow I doubt the OP would realistically choose that option unless for a very good reason. He almost certainly realises he needs far more than 33p a pound differential to break even.

I am very sorry that I do not know your level of literacy skills, but I am forming an opinion. Posts are quite revealing at times.

QUOTE=oliver90owner;349009]playing with words

Not 'playing'.

I am just very careful to write exactly what I mean and to be honest. One sometimes wonders about some of the posts on the forum ... like whether the poster has actually read what was written before replying, or even able to properly read what was written. I do realise there is a wide spectrum of literacy out there but can only respond to what has been written. Advice to this OP of selling in 12oz hex may well be flawed and the OP needs to realise that. Hex jars are more expensive, particularly in small quantities. I have not checked (more than knowing Th8rne approx prices for comparison) but somehow I doubt the OP would realistically choose that option unless for a very good reason. He almost certainly realises he needs far more than 33p a pound differential to break even.

I am very sorry that I do not know your level of literacy skills, but I am forming an opinion. Posts are quite revealing at times.[/QUOTE]

Its like :beatdeadhorse5: Now please lets move on!!!!!

Latest posts

Back