10 weeks later...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAddBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
First of all, thank you to all who gave me advice when, 10 weeks ago, I had my first colony thrust upon me in the form of a small cast. I gave them a home in my small self-built top bar hive with nothing but sugar syrup and coffee stirrers to get them started.

I've learnt a lot in the first 10 weeks, reading so many books and discussions on here, and sometimes just finding things out along the way. As an example, I've discovered that the bees and I both prefer a water spray to smoke.

To update those that might be interested, we've gone from a colony that probably only needed 6 bars to get started, through some very mixed weather, to a very strong 15 bars all heavy with brood and stores earlier today. All lovely and straight combs with very little in the way of physical adjustments from me.

I've nervously watched three play cups develop on a small awkward piece of comb, and after observing their static state for three weeks (therefore building my confidence and understanding of them), today I removed them. This was mainly out of curiosity to have a closer look, but also to correct the last misshaped area of comb in the hive and to sneak a bit of capped honey at the same time. Just a piece the size of a credit card really, I'm going to taste it a bit later this evening.

I suppose all I really wanted to say is how much I'm enjoying this relaxing and rewarding pursuit. Oh, and guess what? I'm already thinking ahead to next year and making plans for expanding my 'empire'. My partner works at a private nursing home with large grounds and they've asked if I would like to have some hives in their gardens... I've got design improvements in mind and have been researching how to make a split.

And I must say, that Urban Beekeeper book is inspiring!

So, we crushed it through a kitchen sieve and shared it on two pieces of toast. Delicious! Such a delicate flavour, and so clear and runny. Can't wait for a proper harvest next year!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well done. You will never forget that first taste. They drug it so that you are addicted to them now!! No giving up.......ever.
Congratulations on such a good success
E

Fantastic! You're well and truly hooked!

I've learnt a lot in the first 10 weeks, reading so many books and discussions on here, and sometimes just finding things out along the way.
I once spent several winter evenings trying to read all the forum threads starting from the very earliest. I didn't get far because there's a lot on here, even so it's a good way to learn a lot about what's current and what's not; to start sorting out the advice you want to follow and what you'll choose to ignore.

Back