How to remove bees in chimney.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
Hi all,
I've been asked to remove a swarm that has taken residence for the past 2 weeks in a disused chimney that has been sealed at the bottom. The bees have made 3 or 4 combs about 16in down from the top and the longest extends for about a the same distance down. The single story chimney is made of stone but the flue is about 9in square.
Obviously I can't dismantle the chimney and can't reach down below the comb, so has anyone any suggestions on how to get them and the comb out? I was thinking of an 8in square piece of timber hinged to a length of 2x1 that when lowered past the comb can be opened to sit under the comb which is then cut away by a paint scraper on a stick. The square will stop the comb from falling and I can gently lift it out hopefully catching the queen.

They are very docile bees and didn't mind me looking at them and didn't even react when I poked the comb with a hive tool, my bees would eat me alive if I did that!!

Incidentally, in the roof there is a wasps nest and a few feet away, a bumble bee nest!

Oh yea, I have to get them out on Sunday as the owner is letting the house to new tenants on Monday.

Thanks.
Torq

You could try hanging some old brood comb near where they're building new comb, they're often attracted to it. Maybe put it on an s-hook?

Failing that - most disused, 'capped' or 'sealed', chimneys have an airbrick to keep an updraught, otherwise the whole lower part of the chimney can get wet. Get somebody to remove the airbrick, add a smoke bomb or two to the flue and wait. Or you could sit there puffing your smoker for half an hour or so, it should shift them if they haven't been there for too long.

If you put a bait hive nearby you might be lucky to catch them. Bait it with lemongrass or old brood comb.

When the bees have gone get the chimney capped with insect-proof mesh and a cowl, but not one of the terracotta ones with inch diameter holes round the rim. Even with the mesh they can still attract a small swarm.

A few years ago someone posted up pictures of a gadget similar to what you describe. The way it was hinged allowed it to effectively seal the chimney so nothing could fall down past it. If your "seal" can be left in place you could fashion a scoop to go with your cutter and then try to remove the comb bit by bit. Let us know how you get on.

Got them out!

It was messy.

Sunday afternoon.
In 2 weeks they had managed to put down about 3lb of honey and as I was cutting the comb out and dropping it into my catching device it broke up. This caused a good few bees to drown in honey. But in the catcher was the queen! So I got her, some bees and damaged comb into a nuc box and shut the queen excluder on the entrance. I then smoked the rest of the bees out and sealed up the chimney. Ratchet strapped the nuc to the top of the chimney and left them alone.

Went back a few hours later to find that I hadn't sealed up the chimney and the bees were all back there. Smoked them out again and sealed it properly.

Monday:
Weather not great so left hem to it

Tuesday:
Missed Germany hammering Brazil. Went back up the roof ladder and checked the chimney, no bees. Put hand on top of nuc,could feel the heat, had a quick peep under the lid, all the bees had moved in. Bought them to their new home.

Today:
Opened the entrance to the nuc at 7am and have seen the first fliers out for orientation as the rising sun warms the nuc.

So it was a success but I was lucky. The queen could just as easily have been killed in the honey flood. Will have to rethink this for the next time I have to get bees and comb out of a tight spot. I think I might make a bee vacuum to get the bees out, but the comb is a different story.

Got them out!

It was messy.

Sunday afternoon.
In 2 weeks they had managed to put down about 3lb of honey and as I was cutting the comb out and dropping it into my catching device it broke up. This caused a good few bees to drown in honey. But in the catcher was the queen! So I got her, some bees and damaged comb into a nuc box and shut the queen excluder on the entrance. I then smoked the rest of the bees out and sealed up the chimney. Ratchet strapped the nuc to the top of the chimney and left them alone.

Went back a few hours later to find that I hadn't sealed up the chimney and the bees were all back there. Smoked them out again and sealed it properly.

Monday:
Weather not great so left hem to it

Tuesday:
Missed Germany hammering Brazil. Went back up the roof ladder and checked the chimney, no bees. Put hand on top of nuc,could feel the heat, had a quick peep under the lid, all the bees had moved in. Bought them to their new home.

Today:
Opened the entrance to the nuc at 7am and have seen the first fliers out for orientation as the rising sun warms the nuc.

So it was a success but I was lucky. The queen could just as easily have been killed in the honey flood. Will have to rethink this for the next time I have to get bees and comb out of a tight spot. I think I might make a bee vacuum to get the bees out, but the comb is a different story.

Sounds like an interesting experience. Getting the queen made sure you could get the colony out. Regarding the chimney I would advise capping with a beeproof gauze so as to permit air circulation within the flue but prevent any residual scents attracting future swarms. :)

Unfortunately they have decided they don't like their new home so have just swarmed.

But the queen excluder was still on the nuc so she is still in the box. I'm hoping they will come back, if they do al well and good, If not then I'll be making up a 3 frame nuc tomorrow with a known mated queen, assuming she survives the night with only a handful of bees in attendance.

Found them! About 5ft above the nuc in a holly tree, they are slowly making their way back to the nuc.

Thank you queen excluder or "Royal prison bars" as I'm now calling it

leaf blower blowing up the chimney to remove the bees (as in super clearing) , then a sweeps rod. up and or down to remove the comb

The house owner had sealed up the fireplace and plastered over it so attack from below wasn't an option.

Found them! About 5ft above the nuc in a holly tree, they are slowly making their way back to the nuc.

Well done!!!
Now pop them into a full size box and add a frame of open brood if you can spare it from your other hives. That should help keep them in their new home and you can destroy it when capped to get the varroa.

Well done from me as well not worthynot worthynot worthyas I had a neighbour ask me to get a colony out of there house and it could not be done as was in a 40ft chimney, tried all sorts of things, felt very sorry for them (imminent death looming as wanted it usable) , and then a few weeks later they left of there own accord, Lit a fire and got it going really hot, smoked the room out for a bit then had to put up with burning bees wax for a few minutes and then back to being a chimney without killing anything, very relieved.:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Well done Torq. :winner1st:

Have you got a photo of your "catching device" so we can copy it?

After a couple of requests, here are a few pics of the contraption!

In essence it's a coathanger stretched to a square and stitched to a pillow case which is all then hinged off a t-piece of timber by a couple of loops of wire. The string pulls the outer edge of the frame up so it can be dropped past the comb and once below it, the string is lowered opening the case with the string then hanging on a screw to keep it open. The rope is for the "oh $h!t" moment when the whole thing falls into the chimney, didn't happen but better safe than sorry.

I cut the comb out using another length of timber with another bent coat hanger as the blade.

I smoked them out of the chimney on the second visit with a length of gardenhose attached to my smoker.

If I did it again I'd smoke the bees up and vacuum them outbefore cutting out the comb to reduce casualties.

The shape had to be modified (squeezed) during the removal to fit the chimney which was smaller than I remembered.

Open

tool1.JPG

Closed

tool2.JPG

Closed from the side

tool 3.JPG

Brilliant........:judge:

Well done that man. As a pesty i'm always being presented with challenges, your idea make like simple.

I like it I am doing one next week no way to leave the bees in the chimney it is open at the bottom and bees escape into the kitchen every day.

Chimney is extremely high and capped off the bees entering through a joint just under the capping.

I like the gadget will be making one over the weekend.

Thanks Torq. A picture saves writing a thousand words. :)

Latest posts

Back