NAT floor type/ design?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I'm having a rethink on floors, I was wondering what your thoughts are? I notice some use corks, would you like to explain your thinking on this? I'm building about 40 floors, so simple would suit me.

I'm having a rethink on floors, I was wondering what your thoughts are? I notice some use corks, would you like to explain your thinking on this? I'm building about 40 floors, so simple would suit me.

My current floor design is edges of ripped down 2x1 on a 12 mm ply floor with two tannalised 2x1 battens to add ridigity and lift the floor off the damp. The edges and the ply get a cuprinol shades splodge.

Most of my floors are JBM variety
The wasps can't work them out and you don't need mouse guards

What is JBM ? Cheers
MBC do you staple mesh into the ply?

Most of my floors are JBM variety
The wasps can't work them out and you don't need mouse guards

I have a JBM inspired floor, and am working on a witty kind of nuc box type invention.

However, I'm not sure how it would stop a mouse? I'm sure a mouse would have no problem climbing up to the actual entrance.

It's amazing how small a gap a mouse can crawl through! My shoddy carpentry attempted at a 9mm entrance groove. Internet is telling me a mouse can get through 1/4inch, which is 6.4mm. Measuring my mouse guards here they are about 7mm.

Having said that, my underfloor entrance had no mouse guard on it... as I never got round to inventing guard that would fit!

What is JBM ? Cheers
MBC do you staple mesh into the ply?

The Brynmair slant on the darlington floor as customised by Jenkinsbrynmair
It has an underfloor entrance
Can't find it on the forum but there are plans somewhere or I have it on pdf

Swienty poly is 8mm and never had a mouse in yet.

HAH famous last words eh?

PH

Try again.

Attachments

• The Brynmair slant on the Dartington inspired floor.doc
    34 KB · Views: 292
  • UNDER FLOOR ENTRANCE copy.pdf
    184.3 KB · Views: 340
I don't think I'll be making lots of under floor entrance, just wanting something simple.

I have a JBM inspired floor, and am working on a witty kind of nuc box type invention.

However, I'm not sure how it would stop a mouse? I'm sure a mouse would have no problem climbing up to the actual entrance.

It's amazing how small a gap a mouse can crawl through! My shoddy carpentry attempted at a 9mm entrance groove. Internet is telling me a mouse can get through 1/4inch, which is 6.4mm. Measuring my mouse guards here they are about 7mm.

Having said that, my underfloor entrance had no mouse guard on it... as I never got round to inventing guard that would fit!

Ignore the internet on that subject, i have 1/2 in mesh on my aviaries and mice cannot get through that, i have seen half grown mice dead after getting stuck trying to squeeze through so a adult will never fit through.

Looking at the pictures a simpler way would be to plunge/ cut out a 8ml channel in the front cross member. This would do away with adding a second cross member to set the 8ml gap I believe.

National Solid Floor Modification

I used bought in National Solid Floors. I found that the bees built dark, thick, unused comb hanging down from the bottom bars of the frames (ladders ?). This was a nuisance if I had to combine hives.

I reduced this problem by reducing the internal depth of the floor with some 1/2 inch T@G boards.

Ignore the internet on that subject, i have 1/2 in mesh on my aviaries and mice cannot get through that, i have seen half grown mice dead after getting stuck trying to squeeze through so a adult will never fit through.

Don't completely ignore the internet, they're right about the 6mm thing but to do that they squash themselves flat so are 6mm high but much wider. You won't have a problem with mesh but a standard entrance over 6mm is accessible to the little buggers.

I don't think I'll be making lots of under floor entrance, just wanting something simple.

JBM design is a very simple design which only requires off the shelf wood that does not require machining. He designed it that way so you can produce many quickly. Once you have made one you begin to understand why they are so popular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back