NAT floor type/ design?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't completely ignore the internet, they're right about the 6mm thing but to do that they squash themselves flat so are 6mm high but much wider. You won't have a problem with mesh but a standard entrance over 6mm is accessible to the little buggers.

The mice must be smaller in wales than our north east mice..:D

Welsh mice get in through a 9 mm gap but not 8 mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Welsh mice get in through a 9 mm gap but not 8 mm

Well the mice in your part of Wales are the same as mine here in the north east, i thought Welsh mice would all be the same size but as the saying goes you are never too old to learn..:D

Well the mice in your part of Wales are the same as mine here in the north east, i thought Welsh mice would all be the same size but as the saying goes you are never too old to learn..:D

There's strange stuff here in Wales. Spotted the frog spawn in the apiary pond moving while I was watching bees collecting water. There were a few pale beige segmented wormlike things, about four inches long, with a circular mouth like a leech gobbling up the eggs and swimming about under the fallen leaves in the water.
Horrible...........
Do you think they might be baby dragons ?

Was it sea lamprey ? Google them, horrible looking things

There's strange stuff here in Wales. Spotted the frog spawn in the apiary pond moving while I was watching bees collecting water. There were a few pale beige segmented wormlike things, about four inches long, with a circular mouth like a leech gobbling up the eggs and swimming about under the fallen leaves in the water.
Horrible...........

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2: ..

They sound like leeches though not baby Dragons.. unless you mean dragonfly nymph but its a tad early for them yet and they are not like worms.. lol.

P.s before anyone jumps on my back i mean its a tad early for Tadpoles which they like eating.

Last edited:
Early for tadpoles?

Pond has been full of them for a couple of weeks.

I hadnt taken any notice other years but I have seen tadpoles in a number of ponds already.

Maybe it is early?

Where exactly are you?

I drive up there twice a month to go to Sellafield.

You anywhere close?

EDIT - just realised you are on the other coast

Horrible...........

Nope, dragons are hatched from eggs about the size of ostrich eggs in a fire, they don't like water and are very shy and you might see a glimpse of them in the mist. One good thing they don't like honey [emoji553]

Jenks floor

Ive converted all mine to the Jenks floor, had no problem with mice, wasps yes but mice no.
works well and very simple to make.

Dave

I had a change of mind and decided to go with under floor entrance but made some changes. Instead of spacing plank's of wood at 8mm i router out 8mm along one edge, roughly 1/3 total distance of the length of wood . It works really well, so need to get this photo business sorted, so i could post pics lol very easy to block the entrance too as i have made wooden blocks that just slot straight in. In fact i could make the gap 1 bee space very easily with the entrance block of needed too.

Latest posts

Back