Workshop Heating

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insulation, insulation, insulation!

My (metalwork) workshop is inside a sectional concrete garage. I originally constructed it with old garage doors with plenty of insulation between the garage walls and the doors. I have since (twice) enlarged it with 100mm recticel sheets as extra walls and polyurethane cladding (mostly 1200mm square) for the ceiling.

Further insulation has been added above, and at about 30 cubic metres it is maintaining around 5 Celsius minimum at all times, using a desiccant dehumidifier running two hours each night. Sometimes 375W and sometimes 750W - depending on the weather. A fan heater soon raises the temperature, if required, for working comfort.

It is a little cold on my fingers, at times, at the moment (no gloves when working with lathe and mill) but otherwise quite adequate. Humidity is kept low, so no condensation/corrosion issues. I’m currently adding more insulation and sealing any remaining heat loss paths, so heat loss will be reduced further. I am expecting I will increase the volume by another ~6 1/2 cubic metres this coming year - if I can find another cheap 100mm insulation sheet and clear out a bit more space in my garage.🙂

Insulation materials used have been glass fibre and rockwool rolls, rock wool cavity wall slabs, 100mm sheets of polyurethane foam ( ex-building cladding?) and recticel, along with some aluminium backed bubble insulation sheet. Nearly all purchased at sales, so fairly minimal cost, compared to new.

It is not only cosy in winter but also cool in the summer (as long as I don’t leave the door open on hot days!).
Fully agree with the idea. I have a couple of freezers and fridges in a similarly decked out space and the heat loss from the motors plus sunlight through the double glass maintains a temp of around 10 degrees. Boosted with a fan heater for instant warm or an oil filled radiator if planned for.

My expriance of workshops is more agri but

barns are manageable to horrible in winter. Cold and drafty can be tolerated with enough layers but add a damp floor to that and you want out.

in my barn I found draft proofing and insulation was the order of the day it has made a massive difference. Foamed in 70mm kingspan 2nds. It’s cost a few k to do but now it’s nice and dry tools don’t rust anymore ect.

it dose need a bit of heat really but no where near why it did before a 100mw spaceheater wouldn’t do much. Just give you a headache with the noise now you notice the effect of 10kw. Whatever you do don’t use direct gas heating tho. Everything end up wet

In Hull!!!, you forget I've spent quite a bit of time there 😁
Yup even in (well near) Hull. Got tired of sweaty wet bedding (no dreaming involved before you ask).
Of course sods law kicked in following the installation of the second unit and a week later nightime temperatures dropped back to tolerable 😎

Is your garage attached to house? Just add another radiator most systems can deal with 1 additional. If your lucky you’ll have 1 on the dividing wall in the house already
We did this at a previous house where I used the garage for an office, and it worked very well

Insulation, insulation, insulation!

My (metalwork) workshop is inside a sectional concrete garage. I originally constructed it with old garage doors with plenty of insulation between the garage walls and the doors. I have since (twice) enlarged it with 100mm recticel sheets as extra walls and polyurethane cladding (mostly 1200mm square) for the ceiling.

Further insulation has been added above, and at about 30 cubic metres it is maintaining around 5 Celsius minimum at all times, using a desiccant dehumidifier running two hours each night. Sometimes 375W and sometimes 750W - depending on the weather. A fan heater soon raises the temperature, if required, for working comfort.

It is a little cold on my fingers, at times, at the moment (no gloves when working with lathe and mill) but otherwise quite adequate. Humidity is kept low, so no condensation/corrosion issues. I’m currently adding more insulation and sealing any remaining heat loss paths, so heat loss will be reduced further. I am expecting I will increase the volume by another ~6 1/2 cubic metres this coming year - if I can find another cheap 100mm insulation sheet and clear out a bit more space in my garage.🙂

Insulation materials used have been glass fibre and rockwool rolls, rock wool cavity wall slabs, 100mm sheets of polyurethane foam ( ex-building cladding?) and recticel, along with some aluminium backed bubble insulation sheet. Nearly all purchased at sales, so fairly minimal cost, compared to new.

It is not only cosy in winter but also cool in the summer (as long as I don’t leave the door open on hot days!).

Thanks The biggest weakness I think are the up and over doors so I will focus on them and insulation in readiness for next winter. I too am suffering with cold fingers and have worked out quickly they and power tools [cutting] don't mix.

Is your garage attached to house? Just add another radiator most systems can deal with 1 additional. If your lucky you’ll have 1 on the dividing wall in the house already

Sadly no

Back