woodpecker proofing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brimstone

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi I'm very new to beekeeping, collecting my first swarm only on monday, so am very green and on a steep learning curve.
We used to have an out-apiary in the garden for a local beekeeper and many of his hives were badly damaged by our resident green woodpeckers.
What I need to know is how can I protect the hive from Mr pecker?
Also am I right in thinking that the woodpeckers will only seek out the bees in cold weather?
Thanks for your help

Hi I'm very new to beekeeping, collecting my first swarm only on monday, so am very green and on a steep learning curve.
We used to have an out-apiary in the garden for a local beekeeper and many of his hives were badly damaged by our resident green woodpeckers.
What I need to know is how can I protect the hive from Mr pecker?
Also am I right in thinking that the woodpeckers will only seek out the bees in cold weather?
Thanks for your help
There is occasional woodpecker damage around here, but nothing for a couple of years. Some places, they're back every year, some places only occasionally. They only attack when ants, their food of choice, are not available. Yes, depths of winter and whether there are problems will depend on local conditions and other food availability. We had green woodpeckers on the ground and peanut feeders only a couple of metres from hives last winter but they showed no interest in the hives and there was no damage. The birds are quite long lived, living into their teens is recorded. If there is damage and it becomes a regular event it's likely that the same birds are involved.

Usual precaution is wire mesh held off the surface. Screw a couple of battens in to hold it off the surface a few cm. If it is a regular problem in the area, it's part of the winter preparations like putting on a mouse guard.

I used one of those 4 section plastic covered wire airers; Use a couple of layers of plastic mesh to cover it (opening an area opposite the entrance so they can fly without getting caught). I use string to lace it up round the hive - a little like a corset but it is about an inch away from the hive wall - the woodpeckers wouldn't be able to get a hold and it is easy to remove / put in place. They (woodpeckers) are only a worry when there is no alternative source of food for them - usually winter. The airer started off like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...c_3/3|cat_14418551|Indoor+airers|14418554.htm and I did upload a photo of the end result. I'll try and add a link to that.

Hope this link works
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...50251796201788_507721787_9475171_743682_n.jpg

Last edited:
The budget solution is a couple of thick plastic compost (stone chipping etc) sacks. Cut them in half down the sides to create 4 pieces and drawing pin them to the crown board, place the roof on top. The piece of sack covering the entrance should be rolled up or trimmed to give the bees clear access.

Bin bags aren't thick enough for the job, but the thicker plastic serves a couple of purposes:
Woody, can't get any thing to grip on to.

by leaving the sacks loose if woody can get a grip on something the sacks will stop him damaging the hive walls by absorbing the impact.

The flapping sacks in themselves [might] act as a deterrent.

Woodpeckers aren't normally regarded as a problem outside of winter and there is some suggestion that they aren't a problem until they are but once one figures out there's a meal in a beehive it'll go tell all its mates and they all have a go.

Thanks for all your really good ideas. Now I'm much more relaxed about the woodpeckers...although I shall remain vigilent of course.
Thanks.

I just drape plastic strawberry netting over the hives. Each net covers 4 hives and is weighted down with house bricks. I find this much quicker to set up and take down than messing around with wire mesh. I know someone that hangs CDs (those from the sunday supplements!) on string from branches of trees and claims they work (maybe they don't like the music?) as they reflect light flashes as they move in the wind.

Latest posts

Back