Winter Survival Of Your Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they need to breathe?
What about painted pine boxes?
Poly?

We use to say breathing stucture. It breathes moisture , but of course not oxygen.
I have breathing ceiling. It lets through the moisture and condensation does not happen in that structure.

If moisture condensates onto cold wooden wall, the water goes inside the wood. Paint must be such, that it lets the wood dry up to outside direction. If the paint is too tight, moisture lifts away the paint and paint cracks.

In poly box wall moisture condensates onto inside wall and drills to the floor.

The coolest place is near entrance and condensation happens in lower parts of frames too. Often ice sticks hang in frames.

If you use plywood in hives, it sucks water about 30% out of its original weight.

Over the years I’ve seen more rotten cedar boxes that are painted than anything else, stain/preservative is good but not paint!. Interestingly I saw an article from a Canadian bee farmer, they had experienced a very harsh winter. The hives they could get to they dug out the snow. Those in isolated spots they couldn’t reach and expected huge losses. As it turned out digging the hives out did more harm than good. Those left buried survived far better.

No there not waterproof and nor are many cavities in trees. I pulled 1 out an old yew a few years ago the hard wood was amazingly polished up almost artistically done, a nice soggy wet patch at the bottom though of rotten wood and detritus. Given the size of the yew there could have been bees there on and off for 100+ years.

Last edited:
Don’t the bees waterproof the inside of wooden boxes?

No, they do not cover the wall with propolis. And even if they do here and there, moisture goes into the wood. Propolis is brown, and not grey like old polyboxes.

And bees do not cover polyboxes with propolis.
I have seen, that old polyboxes have a layer of dirt on inside wall and it can be brushed away with hot lye water.

Last edited:
20 years we have had warm winters, that snow cover in southern Finlad is about 30 cm. We cannot cover our hives any more with snow, and bees do better in open air. When snow is wet, it is not good to bees. In north snow is dry. In many parts of Finland snow covers the hives.

I am uncertain how this helps. The silver foil will reflect any heat from the sun, You can buy a poly brood box for one roll of that insulation. Job done with no hassle.

I am uncertain how this helps. The silver foil will reflect any heat from the sun, You can buy a poly brood box for one roll of that insulation. Job done with no hassle.

Yes, Ideally you would fit it reverse side outwards; but then the benefit of the adhesion would be lost...I presume it's not too sticky though?
It's got to help a little, even if used on a poly box. If nothing else it would prevent water from seeping into the joins between boxes.

Why? What are you doing? And you say that you are uncertain. Are you insulating polybox?

Then you cannot have looked properly.
I have had polyhives 35 years. Why I have not seen that?

How many years you have nursed polyhives?

I have solid floors. If joint leeking is true, floor should have quite a pool after rain. I have not seen.

I have had polyhives 35 years. Why I have not seen that?

How many years you have nursed polyhives?

I have solid floors. If joint leeking is true, floor should have quite a pool after rain. I have not seen.
Ah but you forget the English have designed a poly hive that does leak😂

I have already done a varroa treatment of my hives. Is it necessary to do oxalic acid treatment later in the year, or is it just a replacement for varroa treatment, i.e. if already done, no need to vape or treat until spring?

Latest posts

Back