Winter Sales - Are they worth the wait?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeline

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So far, in my first year, I have relied on the Th**nes Budget (National) range as, at £116 (excl. VAT), it gives me a complete brood, 2 complete supers, roof etc etc. I appreciate that the quality is not 1st grade so may have knots etc., but does it really make a huge difference and therefore worth paying the premium for top grade?

People talk about the Winter sales but am I likely to get better value than the above, for someone watching their budget?

Am I being foolhardy buying slightly 'reject' as they won't go the distance? How long should a cedar hive last?

They're not loaded questions but ones I'm genuinely interested to get feedback on as I would hate to be pennywise......:eek:

BTW I hope the sales ARE as good as they say.

BL

they work for me!

Th**nes 'seconds' frames were better than M**smores 'firsts' i bought a few weeks ago..

A Cedar super should out last you , they have an easier time of it than brood boxes which are out in all weathers till the colony expires or you deem it time to refurbish the box . I try to do this every two yrs or so.
A cedar brood box should last decades if looked after , I have some unmodified national that are older than me .
Is it worth waiting for the sales? To my mind , yes . I bought 20 Cedar supers last year and paid just over £10 each for them , not sure unless you make your own that you will get them much cheaper .
search for threads re second grade hive parts , there have been 1 or 2 bad experiences from those who bought them and found various bits didnt fit or were warped . I have not had the same issues with any of the major suppliers .

g

At the last Thornes sale I got roofs @ £16, supers @ £12, Broods @ £16 & crown boards @ £8 so full hive with 2 supers = £64 + a floor from Wynne Jones £16 (better I thought), so a hive for £80. I got 2 and both made up fine.
Also got 50 brood frames for £27 and 50 supers for £24. Everything Nationals
Guess the queues will be longer this year !
Pete D

A Cedar super should out last you

..and so do you leave them natural, as apparently cedar has that ability to preserve itself naturally, or coat them. If the latter, how soon after you get them?

When you factor in the cost of 20 super frames and wax and 11 brood frames and wax, thrown in the Budget range, you're getting back to that £80 on the sale, Pete. Unless quality was better?

th+rnes secounds hive bits are great got a brood box supers and floors no proploms one hade a hollow knote and the wood was still green but a great way to start out

When do Th ornes winter sales normally start, before or after xmas, what month?

Beeline , I treat them straight away with Sadolin classic . I am sure they would last without the treatment but its my hard earned cash so I choose to do it once they are built .

G

I hadnt heard of mb either but on doing a google search under bee suppliers uk there is a company at the bottom page, but looks like its all poly stuff.

Winter Sales - Are they worth the wait?

Of course they are - if you can afford to wait!

I use them more as 'stock replenishment', rather than buying from scratch. I doubt buying in the winter sale shows much of a saving, if any, over the bees on a budget (for a single set-up).

Just unfortunate that the stock always seems to need 'extra' replenishment every year!

RAB

I treat them straight away with Sadolin classic

George - Thanks for the advice. I'll get some and apply before end of summer. Thought I had to wait a year at least before applying to cedar because of its tannins.

So consensus so far is that there is no real difference in the longevity of the product between budget and 1st class :). That's good to know.

I'll do the link then: Modern Beekeeping
While stocks last we are holding a SALE ON ALL OUR PRODUCTS. Under this sale if you enter the code SALE2011 into the website on the first page of the checkout process it will take 10% off all your purchases. This offer applies to all products, including bulk offers for 10 hives etc, and it applies to telephone orders as well as on-line sales untill the 15th August.
R2

People talk about the Winter sales but am I likely to get better value than the above, for someone watching their budget?

As inflation is currently running at 5% (it's more for sure) your money is worth less next year.

So,

£200 - less the 5% that inflation erodes over one year leaves you with real value of £190.

THEN

You need to find another £10 to buy next year what you could buy this year for £200 even if the price remains the same.

PLUS

The price is bound to go up by 5% so that's £210 or another £20 to buy next year what you could buy this year at £200.

Sales prices make this even more attractive and you could end up with a saving over the year of 20/30% ???

Stock is wonderful to have when inflation rages.

Stock goes up in value.

Money goes down and makes stock more expensive to buy. :-(

Last edited:
Modern Beekeeping <-- working URL

I give up - why does the software mess up URLs - it seems to serve no purpose apart from effing things up unneceesarily????

R2 :nature-smiley-013:

Latest posts

Back