Winter Projects ! ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Now the feeders are off and the Varroa have been hopefully totally exterminated... what are you doing for winter?

Besides revamping and moving all my beehive wood machining and dust extraction stuff to a new large portakabin shed ( electrician pending)... and setting up the new metal lathe in the space that has become available ( to make more cell punch kits etc etc) I have foolishly decided to carry out a RUSTORATION on a 1961 AJS 250 model 14s that I collected from Nottingham for not a lot more than a song... hope Spring does not come along too early !!

Any advice on RUST ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBaTkJjlwMY

Whats happening in your shed ... non bee related... during the OFF SEASON !!

Yeghes da

Bilt Hamber Deox gel and Deox-C followed by Electrox primer.

Just started restoring a 1973 Mini which is currently little more than a bare shell. Relatively rust free for a Mini but that is “relatively”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I sourced cheaper Cedar today, now at £ 7:60 per a box.
This should keep me busy through out the winter, still not sure as to rip my own frames though?
I started a web site about 9 months ago, might be a good time to finish it: D
I have two poly tunnels that need new skins putting on, will see how much time I have though. I have a1995 ford cab sat on drive, been sorned for two years now! It's a 1.8 SI . Not that many of them left so thought I would hold on to it. Going to mot it for the coming spring.

Winter plan...sell lots of honey and save up to buy shiny new equipment. Otherwise lots of wax to melt and refine, frames to steam. Time to relax!!

Nope....
I have plenty of ideas.
After one of these next...
Heated-600x600.jpg

Make X mating nucs (from free Celotex) to overwinter queens

Where X >4 and <10..

My first winter project is always to forget the bees for a little while...

My first winter project is always to forget the bees for a little while...

Do you know that’s so right. When the last feeder is off, the weights checked and the Rayburn goes on my thoughts turn to making Christmas hampers for the kids and cosy nights in to catch up with some reading and general chilling out. Who am I kidding? :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVrpM36MiE

I've gone and gotten me one of these..." dosyfies " honey a real bute !! +/- 1%
Have modified hopper to give a constant honey temperature.... now need to figure out a way of measuring viscosity as it varies with different batches, but dose allow us bottle with small runs of honey from different apiaries / seasons.

And a few £ less than the Danish bottling machines.

Yeghes da

Nice! Would be a bit wasted on me...

Probably not what you need, as you have helpers, but working solo I needed a hive lifter so bought a kaptarlift. As their ads say it's making my spine younger. Moving heavy hives with over 80lbs of honey in the supers up and into the back of the pickup was easy peasy....
Kaptar3s.jpg

Really good piece of gear for moving and lifting heavy hives into and out places. Although I would really have liked to have afforded their electric version.
Maybe another year....

Last edited:
I been thinking a lot about this beefriendly. I was thinking along the lines of a trailer that would take a pallet but slides under and out. If that makes any sense?

This would be ideal I think.

Attachments

• ANT_40LR1.jpg
    ANT_40LR1.jpg
    41.8 KB

Latest posts

Back